U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,597 times

Advertisements

In short, do you believe your direct ancestor was non-human? Something like a monkey, a weasel, or a fish.

I think I read that only half of the people believe in evolution.

One of our Muslim posted said he believed in evolution for all plants and animals, but not for humans. I guess there are lots of differeent beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,339,069 times
I would feel foolish thinking I evolved from a monkey, since I can trace my lineage back to Adam haRishon and no further. Predictable, huh?

Evolution is not a Jewish concept. It's antithetical to Jewish belief. But I suspect a majority of Jews still believe in it. Probably about the same ratio of Jews who reject the Devine origen of the Torah.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM

864 posts, read 733,457 times
No. One of the 13 pillars of Jewish faith is that G-d created the world. There are Jews who, for some reason, feel they need to reconcile evolution with the Jewish faith, and they seem to do so pretty well, but that's not conventional Jewish thought.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 07-18-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Predictable, huh?
No, not at all. I really had no idea how you guys would respond.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No, not at all. I really had no idea how you guys would respond.
That's surprising, considering that the Torah is the first place creation is ever mentioned.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
That's surprising, considering that the Torah is the first place creation is ever mentioned.
So we surprise each other.

That is why I benefit from participating in this forum and you benefit from reading my posts.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,385,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In short, do you believe your direct ancestor was non-human? Something like a monkey, a weasel, or a fish.

I think I read that only half of the people believe in evolution.

One of our Muslim posted said he believed in evolution for all plants and animals, but not for humans. I guess there are lots of differeent beliefs.
I'd say that the more fundamental (regardless of movement) will lean towards a literal Creation story while the more liberal (again, regardless of movement) will lean towards evolution. Most of modern Judaism seems to try to find room for both religious and secular (particularly scientific) truths.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,804,883 times
The only Jews I know who don't believe in evolution are Orthodox. All of the Conservative and Reform Jews I know do believe in it (myself included).

Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The only Jews I know who don't believe in evolution are Orthodox. All of the Conservative and Reform Jews I know do believe in it (myself included).
Which boils down to whoever believes in the divinity of the Torah believes that G-d created the world in 7 days, and whoever doesn't believe in the divinity of the Torah believes in whatever is the fad of the times--right now it's evolution. The disbelief in the divinity of the Torah always precedes the belief in evolution.

To back up JB, I am orthodox and believe that G-d created the world, including science.

As an aside, I have yet to read a reasonable explanation--not to mention, see for myself reasonable evidence (for those who keep on spewing the mantra of "mountains of evidence") of how human emotion evolved, for instance. I'm not even touching human intellect, or physical properties. In short, evolution makes no sense, scientifically or otherwise.

Raise your hand if you've ever seen something evolve?

Just for the record, I don't understand creation either, but I certainly would not worship a G-d who was on my level of understanding.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,689,167 times
I remember when I was in 8th grade science class, the teacher was telling us about the theories of origins. We talked specifically about the Big Bang Theory and he commented that there were lots of theories, BBT was just one of them. I remember thinking at the time that I would like to hear more theories because that one sounded pretty far-fetched to me. My family wasn't religious at all. I didn't even know what a Bible was. The only religious book I had ever seen was a Haggada...and only remembered the Four Questions from that. When I did hear about G-d as a young teen (this was from Christians) I was instantly drawn to G-d and amazed at the idea of a Being who had all the answers and created everything that was. I guess I have always been a literal creationist because everything else just seems silly and not remotely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism