U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 AM

9,523 posts, read 9,407,481 times

Advertisements

A priest (I am Catholic) once said the Samaritans had intermingled with Assyrian invaders and that was the source of the hostility between them and the larger Jewish community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,340,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A priest (I am Catholic) once said the Samaritans had intermingled with Assyrian invaders and that was the source of the hostility between them and the larger Jewish community.
Just another example in a long chain of examples, that when a Jew assimilates with non-Jews, the short term result is hostility, and the long term result is the utter annihilation of that Jewish line that chose to assimilate. Normative (Torah) Judaism always survives. Progressive/alternative/assimilated Judaism disappears from the face of the earth, leaving literally no trace - and quickly! It only takes 2-3 generations before assimilated Jews baptize their children.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,689,905 times
This is an interesting thought, especially coming from my perspective. According to Chabad, the prohibition against intermarrying comes from Deut. 7:3.

"The primary source upon which the prohibition for a Jew to marry a non-Jew is based is to be found in the Bible (Deut. 7:3): "You shall not marry them (the gentiles, about which the Bible speaks in the previous verses), you shall not give your daughter to their son and you shall not take his daughter for your son."

On Intermarriage - The Basis for the Jewish Opposition to Intermarriage - Essentials

When I looked up the verse, it is referring to the 7 nations that the Israelites were supposed to make war with in Canaan. They were not supposed to "grant them terms or give them quarter."

But this seems to be a completely different issue than a Righteous Gentile or stranger, who were allowed to live in and among the Israelites. Was there a separate prohibition against marrying them? Or was it this prohibition that applied to all gentiles?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Certain prohibitions of marrying people from certain nations were unequivocal, i.e., under no circumstance can you marry, even if they convert. For the rest of the nations, it's certainly preferable not to, but the restrictions can be minimized if that person converts.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,689,905 times
So you're saying these nations specifically addressed in that specific verse? The Canaanites, Hittites, etc.? Were there others not in this section? Or were these seven nations the only ones that were unequivocal?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM

21,354 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Linky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans

Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
So you're saying these nations specifically addressed in that specific verse? The Canaanites, Hittites, etc.? Were there others not in this section? Or were these seven nations the only ones that were unequivocal?
None of those 7 nations exist any more, so it's a moot point. After Moshe and the Jews returned to the land of Israel after their 210 year sojourn in the land of Egypt, all 7 nations living in Cannan either fled and assimilated elsewhere, or were totally destroyed by Joshua and his armies. There were nations near Eretz Canaan, however, who came from unrightoous forefathers and exhibited their lousy middos (character traits) when the Jews asked to pass through their land on the way to Israel - Moab, for instance. And Hashem forbade the Jews from ever marrying Moabites. But Ruth was a Moabite, you may say? Yes, but Ruth was a woman, and the prohibition only extends to marrying Moabite men. Without the Oral Torah, one could never know this - hence the mistake of the Saduccees, Karaites and modern day Jews who deny the divine validity of the Oral Torah.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM

56,034 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
My priest (I am Episcopalian) had that same conversation during his sermon last week (the reading was "the Good Samaritan" parable.) It was interesting, because it wasn't just the usual schtick that the Jewish Pharisee and Levite were "wrong" and that We Good Christians would never leave a stranger in the ditch because we're SO much better. It was about the cultural, historical, and religious traditions around the story, and it gave it deeper meaning than what I've heard before.

Would go into it, but it's appropriate for the Christianity forum, not here, since it's a teaching from That Guy.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

65 posts, read 65,769 times
The wikipedia link above is not too bad, though a bit indecisive and all over the place - some say this, some say that (well almost, oddly it doesn't mention the teaching of the Quran which contradicts history, but I won't go there except to say someone's not correct about this, you decide who).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or