U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM

195 posts, read 212,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Im starting to realize thatbthese outlandish posts are probably trolls.
This is one of the biggest aspects of modern culture that I want to set myself apart from, namely that anyone who expresses an unusual idea is considered a troll. If pegotty has been an Egyptian at the time of Moses, or lived in Judah at the time of Jeremiah, she would have called them trolls for the same reason.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,350,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Don't listen to this Zealot. I wear a solid black kippah nearly everywhere (except when I am in Arab countries - Personal safety) and I'm what would be considered conservadox. What he is saying is almost as bad as saying Muslims should not wear a kaffiyah when dining in a kosher restaurant. Yet while I was in Jerusalem a few weeks ago before Ramadan started Muslims were. Wear a kippah in any manner you wish as long as you understand why you are wearing in the first place.
I don't mind you attacking me personally. But it's deeply disgusting behavior for a Jew to wear a yarmulke while transgressing a Torah commandment. Doing it in public is a chilul hashem, a desecration of G-d's name.

Do you seriously eat at trief restaurants wearing your yarmulke?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Is this a question for the Judaism forum?
That would depend on whether most Jews here take the Hebrew Bible seriously, as I do. One of the core points of the Hebrew Bible was that the Israelites were supposed to set themselves apart from the immoral Baal worshipping cultures that surrounded them. When they failed to do so, they fell. I view modern culture as at least as bad as any Baal worshipping culture from biblical times. I also interpret many commandments of the Torah as being based on not following the customs of the Baal worshipers. This includes the ban on tattoos, wearing tzitzit, not shaving the edge of one's beard, and even not cooking a kid in its mother's milk which I view as prohibition against following pagan rituals, not a ban on cheeseburgers.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,350,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
Do you have a better alternative to suggest?
Yes. Find an orthodox rabbi who specializes in Jewish outreach, and begin learning Torah with him. You appear to have some serious internal struggles, and I suspect you will not find any satisfaction taking these unorthodox paths you speak of. Torah is truth, and you start looking for truth with baby steps. If you would like to private message me what town you live in, I believe I can connect you with an appropriate study partner, or one by phone if local options don't exist. They'll meet you where you currently are, both location-wise and spiritually. As long as you have this anger towards Judaism, you'll never progress out of your current state of hang ups. A single PM to me could alter the trajectory of your life in a incalculably good way.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,697,756 times
Quote:
That would depend on whether most Jews here take the Hebrew Bible seriously, as I do. One of the core points of the Hebrew Bible was that the Israelites were supposed to set themselves apart from the immoral Baal worshipping cultures that surrounded them. When they failed to do so, they fell. I view modern culture as at least as bad as any Baal worshipping culture from biblical times. I also interpret many commandments of the Torah as being based on not following the customs of the Baal worshipers. This includes the ban on tattoos, wearing tzitzit, not shaving the edge of one's beard, and even not cooking a kid in its mother's milk which I view as prohibition against following pagan rituals, not a ban on cheeseburgers.
So if you want to set yourself apart from American culture don't get tattoos or body piercings, wear clothing that covers your body, don't have sex with every person you see, and if you do *accidentally* sleep around, don't kill the baby if you make one. That should set you apart pretty well, no?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,697,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I actually doubt most are by trolls. I find that people are really that naive about Judaism. Even some non-practicing Jews have little knowledge about Judaism.

I think it is because the majority of the English speaking world is Christian and attempts to relate all religion in terms of Christianity.

When a people are a majority they tend to avoid learning about any minorities. The result is some very bizarre ideas about minority religions.

Unless it is obvious a person is posting with a malicious intent, let us assume any question is an opportunity to clear a misconception.
Maybe you are right. I guess I just assume that if someone is ignorant, they come to a forum to ask questions to inform their ignorance. The last few posters seem to be here to give the answers. But, yes, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
So if you want to set yourself apart from American culture don't get tattoos or body piercings, wear clothing that covers your body, don't have sex with every person you see, and if you do *accidentally* sleep around, don't kill the baby if you make one. That should set you apart pretty well, no?
No. Of course I don't have tattoos, dress modestly, and have a monogamous marriage. But that isn't enough to visibly set me apart. The Torah requires these things but has further requirements of distinct appearance, namely the tzitzit and not shaving the edge one's beard. Let me explain why this is important. By having a normal appearance but having abnormal behavior (being moral, modest, monogamous), I am just considered a freak. On the other hand, a Hasidic Jew is viewed differently because he clearly (visibly) isn't part of modern culture. By dressing differently, the Hasidic Jew shows modern culture that he rejects modern culture and so he is not expect to conform to modern norms. I admire this. This is the point of the Torah commandments for distinct appearance, and this is what I want.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Yes. Find an orthodox rabbi who specializes in Jewish outreach, and begin learning Torah with him. You appear to have some serious internal struggles, and I suspect you will not find any satisfaction taking these unorthodox paths you speak of. Torah is truth, and you start looking for truth with baby steps. If you would like to private message me what town you live in, I believe I can connect you with an appropriate study partner, or one by phone if local options don't exist. They'll meet you where you currently are, both location-wise and spiritually. As long as you have this anger towards Judaism, you'll never progress out of your current state of hang ups. A single PM to me could alter the trajectory of your life in a incalculably good way.
I have already done these things. I live in El Paso and I have attended Orthodox synagogue here and I have had private classes with the rabbi. There are some rabbinic interpretations of Hebrew Bible that I cannot accept. As I mentioned earlier, I plan to move to Daly City, CA to join the Karaite synagogue there.

Also, I have no anger towards Rabbinic Judaism. I respect other opinions as long as I think they are moral. In particular, I respect Orthodox Judaism and Anabaptist Christianity. But I hate modern culture which includes secular culture, modern Christianity, and liberal Judaism.

You are welcome to PM me if you prefer that to responding publicly.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

864 posts, read 734,634 times
Karaite is not Judaism. Just sayin'

And since you don't believe in Rabbinic Judaism (whatever that means) why would you even consider wearing something to set you apart. After all the Kippah and Jewish attire (besides for Peyos) are certainly not Torah commandments. You can wear an elephant suit and still be a Torah observant Jew.

I agree with the poster above. You seem to have an identity crisis of sorts.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,435,631 times
Quote:
By having a normal appearance but having abnormal behavior (being moral, modest, monogamous), I am just considered a freak.
Seriously? I've honestly never had anyone consider me a "freak" for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism