U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 PM

195 posts, read 212,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Take a look at this video and notice the kippas.
This video depresses me. I saw a lot of Hasidim like this in Tsefat when I was there a few years ago. This is not the image I want to project.

The second video is fine, typical Chabad.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Back to the OP - one should not wear a yarmulke in public unless one is prepared to live by all the mitzvos. Anything short of complete Torah observance, and you're committing a chilul hashem by transgressing the Torah in public.
Of course I don't think that violating your interpretation of the Torah is desecrating God's name. But I do not want to offend Orthodox Jews if possible, that is my concern. So again I ask you to suggest an alternative.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
But I do not want to offend Orthodox Jews if possible, that is my concern. So again I ask you to suggest an alternative.
Don't worry about offending orthodox Jews. Worry about offending G-d (lehavdil elef havdalos) and His Torah.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
This video depresses me. I saw a lot of Hasidim like this in Tsefat when I was there a few years ago. This is not the image I want to project.

The second video is fine, typical Chabad.
This is your quote from the start:

Quote:

I have a black kippah from the time when I did consider Orthodox
Judaism, so I was thinking of sewing a blue rim on it, blue being the color that
the Torah suggested for tzitzit. Is this odd enough?

The Orthodox videos show that there is no standard and thus your personally able to wear whatever you want to wear. As long as you strive to follow the 613 mitzvot, that's all that really matters.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
The Orthodox videos show that there is no standard and thus your personally able to wear whatever you want to wear. As long as you strive to follow the 613 mitzvot, that's all that really matters.
I don't strive to follow the 613 mitzvot, instead I try to understand the principles behind the commandments and apply them. Isaiah 1 is a pretty good explanation of how I feel. And by the way, I have read Maimonides and I don't like him one bit.

I just discussed all this with my wife who isn't Jewish. She agrees with me that I should find something to wear. I act "normal" for business meetings because there is profit in it, but otherwise I don't care and so my wife's friends complain to her that I am a freak. For example, I hate hugging women and I don't respond to their shallow attention-seeking stupidities in conversation. By wearing something distinctive, I would be excused from all this, and if anyone asks my wife about me, she could just explain that I am religious and follow the Old Testament (as they call it).

Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,430,863 times
Please permit me to digress and state that something is a bit odd here. Because you don't flirt with your wife's friends and hug them, they tell your wife you're a "freak"? I'd say you're behaving like either a happily married man and/or a religious man. There is nothing even the most bit unusual about this behavior to me.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
(1) I don't strive to follow the 613 mitzvot, instead I try to understand the principles behind the commandments and apply them. Isaiah 1 is a pretty good explanation of how I feel. And by the way, I have read Maimonides and I don't like him one bit.

(2)I just discussed all this with my wife who isn't Jewish. She agrees with me that I should find something to wear. I act "normal" for business meetings because there is profit in it, but otherwise I don't care and so my wife's friends complain to her that I am a freak. For example, I hate hugging women and I don't respond to their shallow attention-seeking stupidities in conversation. By wearing something distinctive, I would be excused from all this, and if anyone asks my wife about me, she could just explain that I am religious and follow the Old Testament (as they call it).
(1) That's what we have the Talmud for. Its a library of books that argue the points made in the Torah. Going into the book of Isaiah for discussion would require its own thread and I don't think we have enough people in this sub-forum to have a open minded discussion of it.

(2) There is a song by Billy Joel called Faces. We all put on different faces to deal with different situations. Normality is not a norm. I work in International IT, so I have to be normal to their perspective which is basically putting on a face. You just have to choose what your principles are and follow them. I'm ex-Frum so from my Orthodox upbringing I don't do touchy feely in public. As to interactions the bobble head effect and couple of uhuhs will do. They don't think we're listening anyway and truthfully I treat it as background noise. But dealing woman is another thread and has no bearing on your OP. It 6:40am here in Amman and its time for me to drive back across the border into Israel and head to Ben Gurion for my flight back to the states.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
There is a song by Billy Joel called Faces. We all put on different faces to deal with different situations. Normality is not a norm. I work in International IT, so I have to be normal to their perspective which is basically putting on a face.
How hard it is to put on a face depends on the person and the situation. I heard about a Jew who survived the Holocaust by pretending to be a Nazi. That must have been a hard face to put on. I hate modern culture as much as my parents, who are Holocaust survivors, hate Nazism. To give some idea of my perspective, of my 3 best friends from when I was younger, 2 failed to conform to modern culture and one went crazy and the other killed himself. The third did conform to modern culture and chased after my wife. Every single American that I have dealt with extensively has tried to screw me over one way or another. I utterly hate American culture. So putting on a face for these people is something I would rather not do. I would rather just let them know up front that I am not one of them.

I talked to my wife and daughter more about this and we came up with the idea of a tzitzit necktie. The idea is to make a necktie by braiding blue and white threads. This is connected to the idea of the tzitzit without being identical to it. It serves the same purpose, as a reminder to myself and others that I follow a different morality from mainstream culture. Any comments on this solution?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,688,464 times
Quote:
How hard it is to put on a face depends on the person and the situation. I heard about a Jew who survived the Holocaust by pretending to be a Nazi. That must have been a hard face to put on. I hate modern culture as much as my parents, who are Holocaust survivors, hate Nazism. To give some idea of my perspective, of my 3 best friends from when I was younger, 2 failed to conform to modern culture and one went crazy and the other killed himself. The third did conform to modern culture and chased after my wife. Every single American that I have dealt with extensively has tried to screw me over one way or another. I utterly hate American culture. So putting on a face for these people is something I would rather not do. I would rather just let them know up front that I am not one of them.

I talked to my wife and daughter more about this and we came up with the idea of a tzitzit necktie. The idea is to make a necktie by braiding blue and white threads. This is connected to the idea of the tzitzit without being identical to it. It serves the same purpose, as a reminder to myself and others that I follow a different morality from mainstream culture. Any comments on this solution?
Wow. You haven't found a single American that is a decent person? Now, I 100% agree with you that American culture is really awful. We are fairly counter-cultural ourselves. And actually, you sound a little bit like my husband with all your talk about wanting to look different. But I promise you there are good people in the US. There are good people everywhere...there is no Utopia where everyone is a good, decent person. Yes there are cultures where it is more socially unacceptable to behave in certain ways. But if you haven't found one decent person in the United States I think you should start looking inward. Are you attracting the wrong kind or misjudging people? Are you so judgmental yourself that you can't see your own flaws but can see everyone else's? (This is something I particularly struggle with...it is much easier to see what everyone else is doing wrong than to see our own bad attitudes.) Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
You haven't found a single American that is a decent person?
I should have been more precise. All decent Americans that I know hate American culture, and I do know a few of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism