U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM

3,821 posts, read 3,510,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
How hard it is to put on a face depends on the person and the situation. I heard about a Jew who survived the Holocaust by pretending to be a Nazi. That must have been a hard face to put on. I hate modern culture as much as my parents, who are Holocaust survivors, hate Nazism. To give some idea of my perspective, of my 3 best friends from when I was younger, 2 failed to conform to modern culture and one went crazy and the other killed himself. The third did conform to modern culture and chased after my wife. Every single American that I have dealt with extensively has tried to screw me over one way or another. I utterly hate American culture. So putting on a face for these people is something I would rather not do. I would rather just let them know up front that I am not one of them.

I talked to my wife and daughter more about this and we came up with the idea of a tzitzit necktie. The idea is to make a necktie by braiding blue and white threads. This is connected to the idea of the tzitzit without being identical to it. It serves the same purpose, as a reminder to myself and others that I follow a different morality from mainstream culture. Any comments on this solution?

How are others going to recognize and know this Tzitzit necktie as your outward symbol of being a sign of you being different from mainstream culture?

This really confuses me. I understand you wanting to be treated and viewed differently, but why do you need some piece of clothing to convey this?

Shouldn't it be YOUR actions, and what comes from your heart, what comes out of your mouth, and how you treat others be your " article of clothing"?

I sincerely hope Flip is incorrect In believing you are Mocking what Jews hold sacred.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
But after your last post, I am wondering whether I should really care about offending Orthodox Jews.
You should not care about offending orthodox Jews, or anybody else, for that matter. Do what is right in the eyes of G-d.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM

195 posts, read 212,233 times
I thought about this more and I realize that I am focusing on the wrong thing. What I should focus on is joining the Karaites as soon as possible. I want to be part of a community that accepts me as I am. Then I can consult with that community about how to set myself apart and other questions. At this point, I couldn't care less what Rabbinic Jews think. So there is no point continuing this thread.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,223,064 times
Where I live, wearing any necktie is enough to set you apart from the mainstream.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
I thought about this more and I realize that I am focusing on the wrong thing. What I should focus on is joining the Karaites as soon as possible. I want to be part of a community that accepts me as I am. Then I can consult with that community about how to set myself apart and other questions. At this point, I couldn't care less what Rabbinic Jews think. So there is no point continuing this thread.
You'll be missed among the Jewish people. Once you join that Karaite community, you'll become a non-Jew. But you can always do t'shuvah and turn back towards Hashem. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
You'll be missed among the Jewish people. Once you join that Karaite community, you'll become a non-Jew.
He can't become a non-Jew.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,510,156 times
Quote:
I wish you much love, learning, respect, and acceptance on your Journey.
YOU are the only one who can make yourself happy, and right with G-d.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
The thread appears to have run it's coarse and the replies are becoming personal attacks.

THREAD CLOSED

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism