U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
though the Torah ordains only one day, as the
verse (Vayikra23:24) states: And
in the seventh month, on the first of the month, you shall observe a cessation
of work - a day of remembrance, of the sounding of the shofar.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/4381/jewish/Two-Days-of-Rosh-Hashanah.htm

So let me guess, you only follow the Talmud when it suits you. But state to follow the Torah when the Talmud doesn't. BTW in most of Israel, outside of Jerusalem, the second day is treated as an extra day off as like New Years Day in the US where shops are open.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 07-30-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM

864 posts, read 733,274 times
Read your own link. Rosh Hashana is a two day Yom Tov throughout the world, even in Israel. If you were indeed an FFB who spent his yearly Rosh Hashanas in Israel, you'd know that.

Quote:
So that people would not treat the first day lightly, since its sanctified or weekday status was dependent upon the appearance of witnesses during the course of the day, the early Prophets ordained that Rosh Hashanah be celebrated as a two*day holiday - with the prohibition of work, the sounding of the shofar, and the order of prayer being observed on both days.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
If you were indeed an FFB who spent his yearly Rosh Hashanas in Israel, you'd know that.
I was born FFB. That does not mean I'm currently Frum as TFF has pointed out numerous times. Each year when I'm in Israel the first day is treated like a holy day. The second day is treated like a non work day for most but not all, Cafes and some retail is open for business. Most treat it the same exact way New Years Day is treated in the US. Retail and restaurants are open for business and everything else is closed. If you want to call the second day a holy day, go for it. But in reality only the Orthodox treat it as such, which is a small percentage of all Jews.

And you think the Haredi are any better in following the rules. Here's an article on Haredi in relation to bus lines running only for them after Shabbat ends. How did they get there in the first place? Yet they should have special treatment getting back home. Hypocrites.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4400336,00.html

Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I was born FFB.
Then you should know, like any FFB, that Rosh Hashana is two days even in Israel. Hey, but I said that, didn't I?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Then you should know, like any FFB, that Rosh Hashana is two days even in Israel. Hey, but I said that, didn't I?
For a Frum/Diet/Haredi then its true but they are the minority. For the rest its a play day. Israel is more like the US than most think. Israel should not be placed on a pedestal and held to a higher standard.

But the Frum/Diet/Haredi cheat during Yom Kippur by taking supplement suppositories while the general population who fast don't.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,430,863 times
I implore us all to look at the bigger picture. Someone who is trying to be more observant is asking how to take the first small step.

Must we argue about everything here, and trumpet this constant one-upmanship in each and every thread?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I implore us all to look at the bigger picture. Someone who is trying to be more observant is asking how to take the first small step.
Per the Talmud its two days. But the argument in the Talmud is no longer valid thanks to current technology. Read my link in #11. So logically one would return to the Torah which states its one. The Talmud is a book of arguments based in a different time, but in Judaism things are slow to revised. The Ultra-Orthodox seem to only revise parts of the Talmud that are in their favor. Changing RH to one day is not in their favor so they won't revise.

For example, read the following article related to the internet which made the internet forbidden in 2000, but things change and side notes were made in invalidate the Talmud view.

http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3228/2859

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,430,863 times
Thank you for the helpful and interesting background. I appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the helpful and interesting background. I appreciate it.
Interesting and heretical.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
..... heretical.
Its thanks to people like you and TFF that I opened my eyes to how hypocritical the Ultra Orthodox is and stepped down to being Conservadox leaning towards Conservative. I could go down an entire list of items that had changed the definitions but were only done only to benefit the UO, but they only benefit the Orthodox up to the Ultra Orthodox. But to do so is not in line with this thread.

This Orthodox website says volumes just by existing:
Breaking News | Latest News | Current News | Happening now | Orthodox Jewish News at VosIzNeias.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or