U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM

864 posts, read 738,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you know why the Reform do not follow the Torah's instruction on Rosh Hashana being a 2-day Yom Tov?
For the same reason they don't follow the Torah's instructions on observing Shabbos: they don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,447,620 times
Hi all,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I feel like by asking what I thought was a genuine, straightforward question, I am contributing to and/or starting arguments here, which I can't take any longer.

I have enjoyed my time here, but it's time for me to learn to participate in a forum that would be more in line with what I am looking for. There is no sarcasm here, only wishing all of my friends the best. I will be studying and becoming more observant in my time away from here. This isn't a "goodbye cruel world" or passive aggressive post - just want to say goodbye and good luck to my friends.

Chana

Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,075,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Do you know why the Reform do not follow the Torah's instruction on Rosh Hashana being a 2-day Yom Tov?
Honestly, I don't. All I know is that they only do one day instead of two days. But what I do know is, the Reform have services the night before Rosh Hashana and the day of Rosh Hashana.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times
Quote:
The Torah states its one day. Its the Talmud that converted it to two days by doing a spin on words as if those days together are one day. Read the Talmud and why it states it was two days because they couldn't communicate over long distances. We now have the internet, television and communication devices to communicate the information across long distances thus making the Talmud opinion invalid. And if the Talmud is invalid then we turn back to the Torah and form a new opinion as the Rabbinic council already does on numerous other topics.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,075,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Torah states its one day. Its the Talmud that converted it to two days by doing a spin on words as if those days together are one day. Read the Talmud and why it states it was two days because they couldn't communicate over long distances. We now have the internet, television and communication devices to communicate the information across long distances thus making the Talmud opinion invalid. And if the Talmud is invalid then we turn back to the Torah and form a new opinion as the Rabbinic council already does on numerous other topics.
Very interesting

Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 PM

864 posts, read 738,118 times
Quote:
I have enjoyed my time here, but it's time for me to learn to participate in a forum that would be more in line with what I am looking for.
What are you looking for?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,735,490 times
Quote:
I will only speak for myself. I am an Orthodox Jew. If you want to call me a Torah Observant Jew, that term would be correct as well.
Do you wear a black hat and have a big beard? Or are you clean shaven/no hat?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM

3,996 posts, read 3,374,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I feel like by asking what I thought was a genuine, straightforward question, I am contributing to and/or starting arguments here, which I can't take any longer.

Chana
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those of us who have gotten to know Chana know that she was asking what the Torah wants her to do on Rosh Hashana. One day or two. She asked and was answered. We need to tailor our responses according to the the person who asks the question. She did not ask for alternative Judaism views on the holiday but rather what would the Torah have her do.

Veggienut, on the other hand, wants to know why the reform celebrate it as one day and not two. That answer clearly needs to be different. The reform have their reasons I'm sure, but the answer is not going to be based of solid Torah principles. That's simply how they hold, and as long as we're clear not to say the reform hold by one day because the Torah tells them to, or because the Talmud is optional, then we have given intellectually honest answers and no fighting is necessary.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those of us who have gotten to know Chana know that she was asking what the Torah wants her to do on Rosh Hashana. One day or two. She asked and was answered. We need to tailor our responses according to the the person who asks the question. She did not ask for alternative Judaism views on the holiday but rather what would the Torah have her do.

At quoted in #11. Your response was per the Talmud and not the Torah. The Talmud is not the Torah. Based solely on the Torah without the commentary of the Talmud, what would your response have been?

I don't know how you were educated in the Talmud, But I was educated in it in the Frum method that each section is argued and counter argued so to understand the outcome of each section. It was a class of constant loud speaking. We did not just simply read it and blindly accept it.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,374,212 times
The written Torah is worthless without the oral Torah. When Talmud is taught by a G-d fearing, shomer shabbos Talmud chachim, that IS Torah. If one reads the written Torah and thinks it says RH is a one day holiday, that person errs and is chayiv in transgressing the Torah restrictions of the second day of the Yom tov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or