U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,699,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
So you are saying, in effect, that the Jews are the same as the Christians. Don't like something, start a sect and denounce it. Just kidding.

This is the same as most religious systems where people differ in opinion. We find a way to rationalize what we prefer and urge others to conform to us. Since there is effectively no active enforcement division to keep us in adherence, we are on the honor system and most of us can rationalize our honor.
Not quite. The two Talmud were not written in strict opposition to one another in an attempt to change the way people conform. They were written by different groups of rabbis in different geographic areas in about the the same time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

For better or for worse, this is often correct. Certain laws remain on the books and must be followed even if the original reasons for the laws no longer hold. They can only be repealed if there is a Sanhedrin.
Modern attempts to revive the Sanhedrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There have been no less than 5 attempts within the last 600 years. They would, in my opinion, need to search for the Lost Tribes of Israel, convene, and appoint from among the Jews priests, and from those, choose a High Priest.

Speaking of which, I strongly suspect that the original reasoning behind no pork was worms, and no shellfish was allergies. With modern rules and health standards, this may be able to be abolished (you can cook out some allergens, and take medicine, and there are cooking methods that kill off worms), but I suspect the dietary laws have actually become a (pardon the expression) sacred cow.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 648,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Tanakh and the Old Testament are not the same...
In my bible "sefer ha britot", which is a Hebrew-English Bible it is the same, the books are from "beri****" to "divrei ha jamim", only that the tanakh is called Old Testament. The Hebrew text is the same, the English translation is a translation, the Chabad translation is also a translation, for instance "jom" they translate with sun.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,142 times
I just looked up this "Sefer HaBritot" and it's not a TaNa''CH. It is a Christian Bible translated into Hebrew.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 PM

388 posts, read 316,338 times
I'm surprised you had to look it up, its simply the plural of Sefer HaBrit (Book of the Covenant). Obviously we don't believe in 'their' other covenant.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Zur

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I just looked up this "Sefer HaBritot" and it's not a TaNa''CH. It is a Christian Bible translated into Hebrew.
I am sorry, it includes the "Tanach" translated into English, called OT. It is a Christian Bible with the Brith HaChadasha, which is translated into Hebrew, that's right. But the claim was the OT is not the same as the "Tanach". In my bible it is, the Hebrew word for word, it says "alma" and not "betula" for instance, it is not translated into Hebrew, it has the original Hebrew translated into English.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
I am sorry, it includes the "Tanach" translated into English, called OT. It is a Christian Bible with the Brith HaChadasha, which is translated into Hebrew, that's right. But the claim was the OT is not the same as the "Tanach". In my bible it is, the Hebrew word for word, it says "alma" and not "betula" for instance, it is not translated into Hebrew, it has the original Hebrew translated into English.
You are incorrect. The Old Testament is a Christianized version of the Tanakh in which multiple sections have been rewritten, deleted, added and moved to other sections so it falls in line with the NT. They have similarities but the OT is not a word for word direct translation of the Tanakh.

There are threads on CD that compare the two and to discuss it in this one is called a Hijack.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 AM
Zur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
I'm surprised you had to look it up, its simply the plural of Sefer HaBrit (Book of the Covenant). Obviously we don't believe in 'their' other covenant.
That is OK, God gives everyone the right (free will) to believe, what seems to be right in his eyes. I respect your faith, if you do the same, we can live in peace. BTW in both "britot" God commands that we have to love our neighbor, we have to love even our enemies. I know we have all failed and need the grace of God, He is pure love, but also Holy and Just, no argument intended here.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 AM
Zur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are incorrect. The Old Testament is a Christianized version of the Tanakh in which multiple sections have been rewritten, deleted, added and moved to other sections so it falls in line with the NT. They have similarities but the OT is not a word for word direct translation of the Tanakh.

There are threads on CD that compare the two and to discuss it in this one is called a Hijack.
I know that in the OT of Christian Bibles is not the original Hebrew Tanach. No discussion needed. But my bible has the original Hebrew Tanach, it is from the Bible Society in Israel. I have also a pure Jewish Tanach in Hebrew and they are the same.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
I know we have all failed and need the grace of God
If that's what the Sefer HaBritot says, then it's not a Jewish text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism