U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 AM

28,008 posts, read 15,092,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
If that's what the Sefer HaBritot says, then it's not a Jewish text.
It seems the Sefer HaBritot is a Christian bible disguised to look like a TaNaKh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM

21,378 posts, read 24,152,982 times
Quote:
I just looked up this "Sefer HaBritot" and it's not a TaNa''CH. It is a Christian Bible translated into Hebrew.
Ah, no. The book is Sefer Habrit.

Linky:

On the Main Line: A Vilna Gaon story that was too weird for Artscroll.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:08 PM

14,897 posts, read 4,998,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
I know that in the OT of Christian Bibles is not the original Hebrew Tanach. No discussion needed. But my bible has the original Hebrew Tanach, it is from the Bible Society in Israel. I have also a pure Jewish Tanach in Hebrew and they are the same.
I was told to get a JPS and I did and loved it so much, and an Orthodox Jew had recommended that I get it. But when I started quoting from all the side notes, that same Jew scratched her head and said,'' WHAT?''

She said I needed to get another version.

Like it was somehow influenced from a Christian side.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 650,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I was told to get a JPS and I did and loved it so much, and an Orthodox Jew had recommended that I get it. But when I started quoting from all the side notes, that same Jew scratched her head and said,'' WHAT?''

She said I needed to get another version.

Like it was somehow influenced from a Christian side.
I scratched my head also when you quoted "shem echad" wih name only. You speak of an English translation of the Tanach. Translations are always "biased".

Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 650,014 times
Quote:
If that's what the Sefer HaBritot says, then it's not a Jewish text.
I do not know you, if you never failed, but HaShem knows for sure, we all will be judged according our works, not according our religion or what we thought. One Jew thought and told me, King David never sinned, but the Tanach tells us and he repented and offered a sacrifice in the temple. If King David needed the grace of God and His forgiveness, every Jew today needs it also.
But I agree, you have to fulfill the law and will be judged accordingly, good luck.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM

388 posts, read 316,866 times
Hannibal, that is because most Orthodox Jews utilize Artscroll.

I personally have a JPS copy.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 AM

467 posts, read 252,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Hannibal, that is because most Orthodox Jews utilize Artscroll.

I personally have a JPS copy.
I agree with Tikva. Also, I'm not sure where the stuff on the side comes from, but the JPS translation itself is surely not Christian-influenced. However, the translation was probably also not that much influenced by those who consider it axiomatic that the entire oral torah was given to Moshe at Sinai. You'll have to decide for yourself where you are on that question.

Meanwhile, reading in Hebrew with an H-E dictionary and a Jastrow at hand is perhaps the best FIRST step in understanding the written Torah. For that, I think that even a King James is a pretty good guidebook to finding stuff in the Hebrew Five Books of Moses. They certainly do a pretty good job of attempting a word-for-word translation of the Hebrew. Then you can try to figure out the Hebrew for yourself, not that there isn't a lot of help available for doing that. Bottom line, IMO, is that NO English translation should be considered quite holy, and the Hebrew is widely available, once you get past learning the letters and the aleph-bais order so you can look stuff up.

Best wishes.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:08 PM

939 posts, read 1,263,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
I do not know you, if you never failed, but HaShem knows for sure, we all will be judged according our works, not according our religion or what we thought. One Jew thought and told me, King David never sinned, but the Tanach tells us and he repented and offered a sacrifice in the temple. If King David needed the grace of God and His forgiveness, every Jew today needs it also.
But I agree, you have to fulfill the law and will be judged accordingly, good luck.
I assumed you were paraphrasing Paul of Tarsus in his Epistle to the Romans ("for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God") and passing it off as something Jews believe (it's not). Sorry if I was mistaken.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:18 AM

14,897 posts, read 4,998,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I agree with Tikva. Also, I'm not sure where the stuff on the side comes from, but the JPS translation itself is surely not Christian-influenced. However, the translation was probably also not that much influenced by those who consider it axiomatic that the entire oral torah was given to Moshe at Sinai. You'll have to decide for yourself where you are on that question.

Meanwhile, reading in Hebrew with an H-E dictionary and a Jastrow at hand is perhaps the best FIRST step in understanding the written Torah. For that, I think that even a King James is a pretty good guidebook to finding stuff in the Hebrew Five Books of Moses. They certainly do a pretty good job of attempting a word-for-word translation of the Hebrew. Then you can try to figure out the Hebrew for yourself, not that there isn't a lot of help available for doing that. Bottom line, IMO, is that NO English translation should be considered quite holy, and the Hebrew is widely available, once you get past learning the letters and the aleph-bais order so you can look stuff up.

Best wishes.
Thanks, and thanks to everyone.

I am mostly interested in learning tradition and the comings and goings of the temple. The Jps I bought was absolutely astounding because of the side notes. I learned so much about the law through those notes, and more importantly, I learned bits and pieces of Talmud that were very important.

Even if my Jps is biased, it is sure different than what I was handed the first 40 years of my life.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 AM

388 posts, read 316,866 times
I'd buy a copy of Etz Chaim (The Conservative Movement's Torah w/ Commentary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism