U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times

Advertisements

Everybody please stay on topic and avoid commenting on any person posting here.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
The document references Sefrei Mattoth, Sotar, and Kashi. Who are they?
You misspelled the words, but here are easy links to what they reference too.

Matot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordeal_of_the_bitter_water

Rashi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Thanks for the links. They were pretty much what I had been looking for.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 PM

A poster said they found the entire Torah to be inspirational.

Do any of you find something inspirational about Chapter 31 of the Book of Numbers?

Old 09-18-2015, 04:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 493,994 times
I guess it depends what you mean by inspirational. The fact that God protected the people and helped them rise above their enemies is pretty inspirational. The fact that my religion has derived complex laws for dealing with cookware, based on the event is less inspirational, but very relevant. The specifics about warfare and dealing with those who have and would continue to cause damage to the people? I wouldn't say that is particularly inspirational, but the idea of the entire divine narrative and the miraculous nature of the text as a whole (and, some could say, therefore everything in it) is inspirational.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM

That was a good answer, Rosends.

At first this statement puzzled me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The fact that God protected the people and helped them rise above their enemies is pretty inspirational.
To me, Numbers 31 simply describes a military fight the Israelis won, but then I realized that Theists see their god working in every important event.

For example, during the Battle of Antietam, the Confederate general 'Stonewall' Jackson said, "Anyone who cannot see the hand of god working is blind." (or something like that) Earlier in the Civil War, Julia Ward Howe was in her hotel room watching the Northern soldiers drilling on the Mall, and she wrote, "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord". I think Martin Luther King said the same line in the last speech he gave.

Thanks for reminding me how Theists view the world.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:15 PM

14,783 posts, read 4,960,547 times
I wished I had a Nickel for every time I saw somebody bring up Numbers 31 in an attempt to show a cruel God who uses his people to kill and rape little children which is ridiculous if you know the law.

But every single time God used his people to punish an evil nation, and they didn't kill everyone as ordered, those same people came against them and almost destroyed them.

This was thousands of years ago and those same people that Israel failed in wiping out , are the same people calling for genocide today, and it's funny how the whole world will not even admit that genocide is being called on a people.

Saul, the first king of Israel was supposed to wipe out a nation who practiced child sacrifice but he failed, and it wasn't long at all till those same people were about to Commit genocide against Israel in the Holy book of Esther.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 493,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That was a good answer, Rosends.

At first this statement puzzled me:

To me, Numbers 31 simply describes a military fight the Israelis won, but then I realized that Theists see their god working in every important event.

For example, during the Battle of Antietam, the Confederate general 'Stonewall' Jackson said, "Anyone who cannot see the hand of god working is blind." (or something like that) Earlier in the Civil War, Julia Ward Howe was in her hotel room watching the Northern soldiers drilling on the Mall, and she wrote, "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord". I think Martin Luther King said the same line in the last speech he gave.

Thanks for reminding me how Theists view the world.
No problem, just one caveat. Please don't take what I say as representing what all theists think. I represent me, and my understanding of my theism via Judaism.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I wished I had a Nickel for every time I saw somebody bring up Numbers 31 in an attempt to show a cruel God who uses his people to kill and rape little children which is ridiculous if you know the law.
When I bring up good old Numbers 31, I learn a lot about how people think, which is why I participate in these forums.

For example, I learned a lot in this thread until it was closed:

Would you kill 1000 helpless babies if your god told you to do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism