U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,563,997 times

Advertisements

How do you and your family celebrate Sabbath?

I myself attend reform synagogue during Saturday morning, have Sabbath lunch at the temple and then do some shopping or walk around the park until Sabbath dinner. I do drive, shop and have no restriction on Shabbos.

Shabbat Shalom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,054,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
How do you and your family celebrate Sabbath?

I myself attend reform synagogue during Saturday morning, have Sabbath lunch at the temple and then do some shopping or walk around the park until Sabbath dinner. I do drive, shop and have no restriction on Shabbos.

Shabbat Shalom

I presume you believe in "Yawed"~? I know of a few folks like this and we have had a congregation in our city which has now closed. I was invited, but never went. When I was in Florida, I found a couple of them. They advertised one and I went there that, and they had no services that night. Found another and talked to someone on the phone and when I got there, there was no one there. I was curious to the prayers that they do and mostly if they have a Torah and ark that are part of the prayer worship. Well, does the one you attend have a Torah as part of the services~?

As far as Sabbath goes, I go to services and then I come home. I have no family, except my dog that I consider my family. I socialize with people there but nothing more.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,164,875 times
First, please try to use one word instead of the three. In my view the correct word is Shabbat. The way you are following Shabbat is known as secular. Its ok and long as you understand what the day is and how it's supposed to be different from other days. In my personal view its a day of rest. From Friday evening to Saturday night I do not work or do any physical projects around the home. I do not drive thus I do not go out and shop. I will go walk my property with my dogs. My meals are usually cold and I've wired a switch to my frig so the light won't come on when I open the door. My iPad is set to shuffle so it plays all night and all day. My computer is on and its voice controlled so I do use it as in my personal opinion the spark was done before Shabbat started. But I do not do anything work related (unless its an emergency - I work in IT) on it nor do I do any shopping on it. Its my reading material and I only read items that are restful in nature. As for washing, the tub is kept filled with water and I use that water as needed to freshen up and if it matters to anyone, I have a two handled cup.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
First, please try to use one word instead of the three. In my view the
correct word is Shabbat

Are you referring to me or the original poster~? What 3 words, I don't follow you~?

Edit: I think I depends where you live in the USA, because here we say "Sabbath or Shabbos" to Good Shabbos"

Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Are you referring to me or the original poster~? What 3 words, I don't follow you~?
The OP

Sabbath, Shabbos, Shabbat.

FYI:
Sabbath is a descriptor so its use would be The Sabbath.

Shabbos is the Yiddish version of the Hebrew word Shabbat. Shabbos is primary used by American Ashkenazi Jews but in Israel its only used by the Haredi. In Hebrew the word Shabbat ends with a T sound (the letter is Tav). Some Yiddish speakers take it a step further and also convert a Tet into a S sound. There is one user here who instead of saying Kotel (Wailing Wall), says Kosel

Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The OP

Sabbath, Shabbos, Shabbat.

FYI:
Sabbath is a descriptor so its use would be The Sabbath.

Shabbos is the Yiddish version of the Hebrew word Shabbat. Shabbos is primary used by American Ashkenazi Jews but in Israel its only used by the Haredi. In Hebrew the word Shabbat ends with a T sound (the letter is Tav). Some Yiddish speakers take it a step further and also convert a Tet into a S sound. There is one user here who instead of saying Kotel (Wailing Wall), says Kosel

The OP says, "Shabbat Shalom", so is this only said in the Reform or do other sects says this~? Just curious.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
The OP says, "Shabbat Shalom", so is this only said in the Reform or do other sects says this~? Just curious.
No. It depends on the area you're in. Currently 99% of the people I know around the world say Shabbat Shalom and they are anywhere in between Reform and Orthodox. The only times I hear Gut Shabbos(es) is when I go to NY or to FL.

http://www.jewfaq.org/express.htm

Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I presume you believe in "Yawed"~? I know of a few folks like this and we have had a congregation in our city which has now closed. I was invited, but never went. When I was in Florida, I found a couple of them. They advertised one and I went there that, and they had no services that night. Found another and talked to someone on the phone and when I got there, there was no one there. I was curious to the prayers that they do and mostly if they have a Torah and ark that are part of the prayer worship. Well, does the one you attend have a Torah as part of the services~?
I attend reform synagogue, and sometimes Messianic synagogued for torah and Jesus scripture study.
Our synagogues looks exactly like any other.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
I attend reform synagogue, and sometimes Messianic synagogued for torah and Jesus scripture study.
Our synagogues looks exactly like any other.
I didn't know the Messianic synagogues had Torahs

Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't know the Messianic synagogues had Torahs
What do you think we study? Even Christians read from the Old Testament, a.k.a Hebrew Bible.
Jesus himself read and taught from the Torah, and Messianic Jews follow Jesus, the Messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism