U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,044,934 times

Advertisements

What do you all wear when you go to your congregation to pray~? Anything special or fancy~? I wear pretty dresses or skirts that are above my knees, sometimes below.....and of course jewelry. I also wear sandals, but closed shoes when it gets cold outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Are you talking in general or for Shabbat only. In general when I'm in the US for Shacharit I dress in slacks, a modest button down shirt (no tie), comfy shoes, no jewelry and my kippah. Since the synagogue is 48 miles away, I'm unable to go there on Shabbat thus I have to daven in private. In Arab countries (where I work) the synagogues' are underground and thus I can't dress in any special way. In Israel I dress much the same way as in the US (if I'm in Jerusalem I add a coat) except I can actually walk to Shabbat services.

As a side note, when I was in the Marines a special tent was set up for me (I was the only Jew) when we were in Lebanon and it was guarded by two Muslim Marines who are still close friends today.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Are you talking in general or for Shabbat only. In general when I'm in the US for Shacharit I dress in slacks, a modest button down shirt (no tie), comfy shoes, no jewelry and my kippah. Since the synagogue is 48 miles away, I'm unable to go there on Shabbat thus I have to daven in private. In Arab countries (where I work) the synagogues' are underground and thus I can't dress in any special way. In Israel I dress much the same way as in the US (if I'm in Jerusalem I add a coat) except I can actually walk to Shabbat services.

As a side note, when I was in the Marines a special tent was set up for me (I was the only Jew) when we were in Lebanon and it was guarded by two Muslim Marines who are still close friends today.

So you don't live in the USA~? What country are you from~?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
So you don't live in the USA~? What country are you from~?
I'm born American and reside in the US. I telecommute most of the year and fly to the Middle East about 18 times a year (contract pays for flights). I take two vacations a year in which both are in Israel (one includes Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur and the other includes Pesach). I was born Ashkenazi (Aba) and Mizrahi (Ema). In my early years up to my teens, I was FFB and went to Ashkenazi Yeshivot. Once I hit 18 I broke away and joined the US Marines and from that point forward I lived somewhere between Conservative and Orthodox and in the Mizrahi lifestyle. Thus by 18 I was fluent in English, Hebrew, Aramaic, Yiddish and Arabic (plus a few other languages but that's a whole magillah in itself).

A little side story: When it came time for my Bar Mitzvah I was sent to Israel for it. My Mizrahi Grandfather had me practice my Haftorah and was so angry with my pronunciations, he made me re-learn it again in Israeli Hebrew. He made me a deal that if I spoke Israeli Hebrew instead of Ashkenazi Hebrew (T sound replaced with S sound) he guaranteed me a Bar Mitzvah at the Kotel. I agreed and he followed through (my Siblings could not since it was in Arab hands when they were of age and they were Israeli born btw). He passed a week after my Bar Mitzvah. Both my sons had theirs at the Kotel and also went into the US Marines upon graduation from HS. One is still in and the other went on to be university educated and live his life as he sees fit.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,560,751 times
Fancy clothes

Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,511,004 times
To be respectful, long skirts, blouses that cover up to collar bone, no pants, watch, wedding rings.

It was different when we were members of a Conservative Temple.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
To be respectful, long skirts, blouses that cover up to collar bone, no pants, watch, wedding rings.

It was different when we were members of a Conservative Temple.
You wear no wedding rings~? Your not suppose to take them off~! Your well-covered, but I wear open necklines and sometimes low-cut which are revealing. I can't stand anything around my neck. Necklaces are another story and aren't binding.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,511,004 times
No pants. Yes to wedding ring and watch.
Sorry.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 AM

546 posts, read 565,175 times
Not shorts or jeans unless it's a casual service, i.e. one that's outside, usually on the completion of a holiday. The rabbi has banned ties during the summer for the men. (We're in Phoenix. It's hot.)

Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,339,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
The rabbi has banned ties during the summer for the men. (We're in Phoenix. It's hot.)
That's funny. I grew up in a reform shul where the rabbi banned yarmulkes on the men. Now of course, that same reform shul has men and women wearing them. Oh the irony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism