Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

This is what my translation says:

" Moses saw that the people were running wild and that Aaron had let them get out of control and so become a laughingstock to their enemies. 26 So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, “Whoever is for the Lord, come to me.” And all the Levites rallied to him.

27 Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’” 28 The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died."

Tough love, you might say. Do you think this applies in any way to our currect society and the people who disobey our laws by "running wild"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times
Quote:
Tough love, you might say. Do you think this applies in any way to our currect society and the people who disobey our laws by "running wild"?
Don't know the translation you're using.

25. And Moses saw the people, that they were exposed, for Aaron had exposed them to be disgraced before their adversaries.

The verses you quote cover the consequences for the worship of the Golden Calf. So basically, your question is moot.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The verses you quote cover the consequences for the worship of the Golden Calf.
Does this mean the Jews who worshipped the Golden Calf deserved to be killed?

If so, do you think the Golden Calf symbolizes something else - like a love of money and other wordly goods?

Doesn't Wall Street have a statue of a bull?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Does this mean the Jews who worshipped the Golden Calf deserved to be killed?

If so, do you think the Golden Calf symbolizes something else - like a love of money and other wordly goods?

Doesn't Wall Street have a statue of a bull?
Yes, they deserved to be killed.

What does it symbolize? Well in that time, one need not look at symbols to understand it. The Jews thought they needed an "intermediary" to place between them and G-d (much like some Nazarrenes and Ebionites would do 1300 years later with a guy called Yushke). Tragic consequences.

In today's times, it mostly symbolizes what happens when Jews don't listen to their gedolim (Jewish leaders). Also tragic.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
What can we learn from Exodus 32:25-29?
That it should be read in the context of the rest of the book of Sh'mot.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In today's times, it mostly symbolizes what happens when Jews don't listen to their gedolim (Jewish leaders). Also tragic.
Do you have a few examples of Jews not listening to their leaders and the tragic consequences that resulted?

Even though I have several Jewish friends, I don't know much about Jewish society to be familiar with any such examples.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Do you have a few examples of Jews not listening to their leaders and the tragic consequences that resulted?

Even though I have several Jewish friends, I don't know much about Jewish society to be familiar with any such examples.
Just Google the word Hashkalah.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Just Google the word Hashkalah.
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I just read from one website, and it is fascinating.

After I read more, I will probably get back to you with questions.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
That it should be read in the context of the rest of the book of Sh'mot.
What are the main lessons you learn from the book of Sh'mot?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
What are the main lessons you learn from the book of Sh'mot?
The confrontation of pharaoh, the giving of Torah at Sinai, and the agreement of the Israelites to follow the Covenant.

"Naaseh v'nishma" - We will do and we will hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism