Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Pegotty, huh?

Ummm....I don't understand your question. :-) Are you confused about the original question or my response with the article I posted?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
Are you confused about the original question or my response with the article I posted?
Why would you post an article about a Christian saint?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Why would you post an article about a Christian saint?
Did you read it? It was on Aish.com, which is a Jewish website. The writer was sarcastically referring to the Catholic lady sitting next to him on the subway as a Christian saint. She was just a regular woman praying on the subway. It wasn't about a saint at all. But the general idea of the article answered my original question (which was actually my husband's question...I have been sharing all the information I get from my posts on here with him). It was a very good article and gave a clear picture of G-d as a generous and loving G-d to all people who seek him.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
Did you read it? It was on Aish.com, which is a Jewish website.
I did now.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
It was a very good article and gave a clear picture of G-d as a generous and loving G-d to all people who seek him.
Just remember, that like a loving parent, so too a loving G-d often must punish His children in order to teach them to do right. A G-d that only praises and enables (and never corrects), again like a parent, is ruining the child.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Sorry for the confusion. :-) My questions will often have a different perspective because my husband is not Jewish. He is also a philospher and that makes some of our conversations pretty deep...we stayed up all night the other night talking about this subject. Sheesh. We're really too old for that kind of thing.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Just remember, that like a loving parent, so too a loving G-d often must punish His children in order to teach them to do right. A G-d that only praises and enables (and never corrects), again like a parent, is ruining the child.
While I agree that this is true, I think it's a little dangerous to think of anything that seems negative as punishment or correction from G-d. Sometimes life is just hard. And those hardships make us stronger people. They also give us the opportunity to help other people who are struggling with hardships. I think I have shared that I was agoraphobic for several years. I went through therapy and a lot of hard work to over come it. The best thing about having had the experience is being able to really help people who struggle with the same things I did. It also helps me to remember that every single day we have is a gift. I liken the experience to overcoming a terminal illness. But I don't think the situation was a punishment for something I did.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
While I agree that this is true, I think it's a little dangerous to think of anything that seems negative as punishment or correction from G-d. Sometimes life is just hard. And those hardships make us stronger people. They also give us the opportunity to help other people who are struggling with hardships. I think I have shared that I was agoraphobic for several years. I went through therapy and a lot of hard work to over come it. The best thing about having had the experience is being able to really help people who struggle with the same things I did. It also helps me to remember that every single day we have is a gift. I liken the experience to overcoming a terminal illness. But I don't think the situation was a punishment for something I did.
You are right on track there - you just appear to be ascribing what happened to everything except for Hashem. When we have trials in life, that's Hashem's message to us that he wants to be closer to us. There are two basic ways to get closer to Hashem: 1)Build your spiritual connection to Hashem (as a Jew, this is done via performing the mitzvos and prayer). 2)Let Hashem give you a trial in life (perhaps we could call this a punishment, at least through our limited eyes it looks like a punishment) that causes you to cry out to Him. Clearly #1 is the easier method.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You are right on track there - you just appear to be ascribing what happened to everything except for Hashem. When we have trials in life, that's Hashem's message to us that he wants to be closer to us. There are two basic ways to get closer to Hashem: 1)Build your spiritual connection to Hashem (as a Jew, this is done via performing the mitzvos and prayer). 2)Let Hashem give you a trial in life (perhaps we could call this a punishment, at least through our limited eyes it looks like a punishment) that causes you to cry out to Him. Clearly #1 is the easier method.
No, I do believe Hashem is in control of all that happens, I just don't see happenings as punishments. In other words, when something "bad" happens to me (i.e., I get a flat tire, the a/c unit beaks in the middle of a heat wave, I throw my back out and can't walk for several days...these are all things that have happened to me at one time or another) I don't immediately think I must have done something wrong to deserve it. Sometimes the things we learn are not spiritual at all (i.e., if you don't regularly schedule maintenance on your a/c unit it will eventually give out.) Mostly, this is a physical lesson. But on another level, it is actually a spiritual one. If we don't take care of what we have (our physical things...our body and our belongings, as well as our spirit), these things will wear out or rust. We all require regular maintenance, whether it is of a spiritual nature or a physical one.

Lessons I have learned from these "happenings" 1) schedule regular maintenance for the a/c unit. 2) regular exercise will provide the muscle needed to keep your back in alignment and 3) sometimes there's just a nail in the road...that kind of coincidence is more likely to be Hashem trying to get our attention for something, but then again, sometimes there is just a nail in the road.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
No, I do believe Hashem is in control of all that happens, I just don't see happenings as punishments. In other words, when something "bad" happens to me (i.e., I get a flat tire, the a/c unit beaks in the middle of a heat wave, I throw my back out and can't walk for several days...these are all things that have happened to me at one time or another) I don't immediately think I must have done something wrong to deserve it. Sometimes the things we learn are not spiritual at all (i.e., if you don't regularly schedule maintenance on your a/c unit it will eventually give out.) Mostly, this is a physical lesson. But on another level, it is actually a spiritual one. If we don't take care of what we have (our physical things...our body and our belongings, as well as our spirit), these things will wear out or rust. We all require regular maintenance, whether it is of a spiritual nature or a physical one.

Lessons I have learned from these "happenings" 1) schedule regular maintenance for the a/c unit. 2) regular exercise will provide the muscle needed to keep your back in alignment and 3) sometimes there's just a nail in the road...that kind of coincidence is more likely to be Hashem trying to get our attention for something, but then again, sometimes there is just a nail in the road.
Your hashkafo (Jewish outlook) seems to be right on track. I think you and I are using different terms to describe the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism