U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,948 times

Advertisements

Or is he? If gentiles are accountable for the Noahide laws, and Jesus is not actually G-d, aren't they worshiping a false god then?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Or is he? If gentiles are accountable for the Noahide laws, and Jesus is not actually G-d, aren't they worshiping a false god then?
Sure, he is a false god for us Gentiles. So what?

Ain't no crime to worship a false god.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM

864 posts, read 733,948 times
Quote:
If gentiles are accountable for the Noahide laws, and Jesus is not actually G-d, aren't they worshiping a false god then?
Let me try to explain from memory: The first two of the Noachide laws (from Chabad website)

1. Acknowledge that there is only one G-d who is Infinite and Supreme above all things. Do not replace that Supreme Being with finite idols, be it yourself, or other beings. This command includes such acts as prayer, study and meditation

2. Respect the Creator. As frustrated and angry as you may be, do not vent it by cursing your Maker.

There's argument whether Christianity adheres to the first of the two, namely because technically Christians argue they believe in the one G-d who created the world, however that G-d, for whatever reason, incorporated himself into human flesh. This idea is idolatry for Jews, but not for gentiles--according to Maimonides (I think).

Quote:
Ain't no crime to worship a false god.
A crime not, but a capital sin.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,345,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
If one believes Jesus is anything approaching a godlike figure, as in the son of god, part of the trinity of god, etc., then one cannot be a Noahide.

Ironically, this means atheists are more likely to gain a share in Olam Haba than Chrstians, as the other 6 of the 7 Noahide laws are easy to keep.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Ironically, this means atheists are more likely to gain a share in Olam Haba than Chrstians, as the other 6 of the 7 Noahide laws are easy to keep.
How do you come to this conclusion, as atheists are in violation of the first of the Noachide laws. Christianity is, at least, a machlokes whether it's ****uf.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Yeah, it is pretty easy to abide by the other laws, but just to be ornery, we Atheists make a point to break all of them.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,227,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yeah, it is pretty easy to abide by the other laws, but just to be ornery, we Atheists make a point to break all of them.
Speak for yourself. "We atheists" have little in common except an absence of belief. Few of us are ornery, and fewer still are ornery enough to commit murder, theft and vivisection. Are we to believe that you have done these things, or were you replying without having read the seven laws?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
If one believes Jesus is anything approaching a godlike figure, as in the son of god, part of the trinity of god, etc., then one cannot be a Noahide.

This happened to be in my inbox this morning. It seems to contradict your understanding: Peace on Earth in 30 Min., 45 with Traffic

"I flipped through the siddur looking for the Psalm with that good stuff about God smiting your enemies, wondering how far you have to be from someone getting hit by lightning to be safe. It’s a tight fit on those bus seats.

I was still mouthing some words from the siddur when my brain re-engaged momentarily and focused on what I was reading. “God is close to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him sincerely.”

I stopped. I turned to look at Saint Agnes, who was now looking out the window, a serene expression on her face, her hands still holding the beads, but no longer worrying at them. She must have sensed me looking at her, or maybe caught my reflection in the window, because she turned and caught my gaze – at first a bit surprised, then a quick, polite smile, and then a return to the window."

It was a beautiful article.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
"We atheists" have little in common except an absence of belief.
Obviously we don't have a sense of humor in common either.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Pegotty, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or