U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2013, 12:44 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Reputation: 22356

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I've seen a video of the bar mitzvah celebration the OP is desecribing. Sadly, many Jews are so caught up in gashmius (worldly pursuits) that they are unable to pursue ruchnius (spiritual pursuits). The video is a chilul Hashem, as witnessed by the creation of this thread in the first place. I was sorry I clicked the link in the first place as the video also contained kol isha, kol beged and chukas hagoyim.
I had to google all the terms. But I think I know what you are saying. I agree. I'm not Jewish but I appreciate very much the importance of giving up worldly pursuits for spiritual ones.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Reputation: 8864
Here's the video of it:

Sam Horowitz - Live at the Omni Hotel in Dallas - YouTube


Best Bar Mitzvah Dance Ever - Sam Horowitz Interview - 8/14/13 - YouTube

And the follow up


Michael Savage Attacks Sam Horowitz Bar-Mitzvah Bash and Family, Destroys Dignity of Jewish Custom - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
...... it seems to have lost most of it's spiritual connection, and is more focused on other things.

To each their own:



Bar Mitzvah Song - Mendy & Avi Piamenta - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,044,934 times
Reputation: 902
Growing up as a teenager in the 1970's, the Bar-Mitzvah parties were not that extravagant. The ones I went to had hired bands and we would dance, and there was food, from what I would recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Reputation: 8864
Lets bring this thread to a closing with the following video:


BAR MITZVA, SEPHARDIC SONG,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM
 
32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
What you're describing is the party after the bar Mitzvah, not the bar Mitzvah itself. The bar Mitzvah takes place in the synagogue; the boy (or girl in the the case of a bat Mitzvah in the Reform and Conservative sides) is called to the Torah for the first time, he wears tzitzit and counts as part of the minyan, and he will often lead the prayer service, read from the Torah, and give a synopsis of the day's portion.

And then, after the service is over, comes the party.

I'd compare what more to the party that often takes place after a confirmation or wedding rather than the commercialization of a holiday.
My niece just had her Bat Mitzva celebration at a Chabad (which is an ultra-orthodox group) center. She made a little speech about what she learned in preparation and what it measn to be Jewish for her. Then she read the Shabbat prayer "Pious Woman" as well as "I believe". She also spoke about the torah portion of the week and called up to participate and read other prayers in English and Hebrew, her grandparents, her aunts & uncles and her parents. After the ceremony, a kosher Chinese-style meal was served to the guests at the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,340,232 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My niece just had her Bat Mitzva celebration at a Chabad (which is an ultra-orthodox group) center. She made a little speech about what she learned in preparation and what it measn to be Jewish for her. Then she read the Shabbat prayer "Pious Woman" as well as "I believe". She also spoke about the torah portion of the week and called up to participate and read other prayers in English and Hebrew, her grandparents, her aunts & uncles and her parents. After the ceremony, a kosher Chinese-style meal was served to the guests at the center.
Sounds very beautiful. Just curious, when she gave her speech, were there men in the audience, or just women? I've heard it's done both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM
 
32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Sounds very beautiful. Just curious, when she gave her speech, were there men in the audience, or just women? I've heard it's done both ways.
There were both men and women in audience. She also called up her younger sister (aged 10) and younger brother (aged 5 and half) to give her hugs before calling up the other relatives who also gave short speeches about her as well as reading prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,340,232 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There were both men and women in audience. She also called up her younger sister (aged 10) and younger brother (aged 5 and half) to give her hugs before calling up the other relatives who also gave short speeches about her as well as reading prayers.
Very nice. In my community, the girls do not invite men to attend the Bas Mitzvahs, but my wife tells me they are simply beautiful events, that celebrate these incredible young Bas Torah's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Very nice. In my community, the girls do not invite men to attend the Bas Mitzvahs, but my wife tells me they are simply beautiful events, that celebrate these incredible young Bas Torah's.
How do they exist in your community since involvement of women in formal religious ceremonies is prohibited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top