U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,047,790 times
Reputation: 902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hiker, I'm glad you're smart enough to appreciate some good irony. Actually, the opposite is true.

Before the enlightenment, perhaps one in 10,000 Jews "left the fold" and became a goy or a heretic. But since the creation of the reform movement, you can walk into any reform shul and find perhaps 30-50% of the people in the building are not even Jewish. That's not to mention the 50% or so Jews who do not attend any shul ever. And that does not include the fact that 7 out of 10 Jewish children who attend public school will intermarry, and half of those (the children of non Jewish women) will have non Jewish children.

So yeah, I'd the Hashkala is working out just fine for us Yidden.

How do you know that 30-50% of people in a Reform congregation are not Jewish~? Have you gone and took a survey~? You don't know if someone was put up for adoption by a Jewish family and raised in another faith, or if their faith wasn't practiced in their country due to WWII and then came to the USA and then practiced later in life~! You just don't know the circumstances to make that assumption.

 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,864 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
How do you know that 30-50% of people in a Reform congregation are not Jewish~?
Just by using common sense. If half of reform is intermarried-and reform condones and encourages intermarriages, there are your numbers. The other half doesn't know the first thing about Judaism.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,047,790 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Just by using common sense. If half of reform is intermarried-and reform condones and encourages intermarriages, there are your numbers. The other half doesn't know the first thing about Judaism.
Your wrong~! Now maybe the state your at this is how it is, but not where I'm at~!
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM
 
3,962 posts, read 3,344,225 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
How do you know that 30-50% of people in a Reform congregation are not Jewish~? Have you gone and took a survey~? You don't know if someone was put up for adoption by a Jewish family and raised in another faith, or if their faith wasn't practiced in their country due to WWII and then came to the USA and then practiced later in life~! You just don't know the circumstances to make that assumption.
I know it's sad. But I don't think anyone taking an honest look at this holocaust of Jewish souls can say differently. It's better you know the truth.

My brother married a non Jew. They go to a reform shul. They pretend their children are Jewish. My neices don't know any different, and one day they will marry nice Jewish boys, and my brothers grandchildren will be goyim. That's how the reform shul's are filled with non Jews. Calling yourself Jewish and lighting hanukah candles does not make you Jewish. Only the Torah can give one that designation.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,047,790 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I know it's sad. But I don't think anyone taking an honest look at this holocaust of Jewish souls can say differently. It's better you know the truth.

My brother married a non Jew. They go to a reform shul. They pretend their children are Jewish. My neices don't know any different, and one day they will marry nice Jewish boys, and my brothers grandchildren will be goyim. That's how the reform shul's are filled with non Jews. Calling yourself Jewish and lighting hanukah candles does not make you Jewish. Only the Torah can give one that designation.

We both have different views, FlipFlop. I think you should accept and respect your brother and his family. We had at one time here 2 Reform Congregations, which merged. The people I grew up with and went to school with belong at each of the ones we had before the merge. And the families parents both were Jewish thru their lineage and their kids married within the faith, some didn't. One gal I knew married an Orthodox. Surprised me~! She had beautiful long black hair and she cut it all off and wear a wig now~! I hadn't seen her since the 1970s or maybe 1980s since she doesn't live here anymore and ran into her when she was in town. One gal I met recently was given up by her Jewish parents at birth and brought up in another faith. She's now a member of the Reform. Anyways you should accept all people who are belong to the Orthodox, Conservative or Reform. We shouldn't hate or discriminate because they have converted or are by birth. This is why there is so much hate in the world.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,864 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
We shouldn't hate or discriminate because they have converted or are by birth. This is why there is so much hate in the world.
So there's so much hate in the world because we define Jewishness according to the Torah. Now that makes a lot of sense.

And griping about a chabad house for no apparent reason, that's love.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,047,790 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
So there's so much hate in the world because we define Jewishness according to the Torah. Now that makes a lot of sense.

And griping about a chabad house for no apparent reason, that's love.
Now you hit a bad chord with me iwishiwerethin~! That Chabad House is crap~! That so-called Rabbi (if he is one) stripped our congregation of everything including the books that my Dad donated in memory of my Momma whose passed as well as the ones I donated when my Dad passed <tears>~! I'm not talking about a few, I'm talking about a few hundred books~! He's a damn crook and good for nothing SOB. He took so much that did not belong to him and our congregation is suffering because of him~!!!
 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:06 AM
 
864 posts, read 733,864 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
He took so much that did not belong to him and our congregation is suffering because of him~!!
Didn't you say you belonged to a reform temple?
 
Old 08-18-2013, 04:58 AM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,047,790 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Didn't you say you belonged to a reform temple?
No, I belong to the orthodox!!!
 
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 AM
 
Location: US
27,985 posts, read 15,062,316 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Since I am part Cherokee, I agree with you.

In my opinion, my Cherokee brothers and sisters should be more like the Reform Jews and learn to participate and prosper in our society while still keeping alive their historic culture and religion.

Of course, that is a topic for another forum.
My wife is also part Cherokee, part Jewish, but that was a couple generations ago...Myself, Irish and Jewish that comes through my mother from her mother and her mother before her who's grandparent came from Pest, Hungary in the early to mid 1800s, but I think they converted over there or soon after they got here to Christianity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top