U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times

Advertisements

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/hasidic-man-admits-burning-neighbor_n_1260706.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Really. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while today: Posting more articles on the cover-ups and threats the ULTRA Orthodox do in their communities.
Knock yourself out. It's your prerogative to create a massive chilul hashem. Find 5 more websites. Maybe you can find fifteen. Then I expect a ratio from you of Chasidic Jews in prison vs. the general population as a whole. If it's more than .01%, I'll owe you an apology. If not, I will not expect one from you. You can answer to Hashem for defiling the Jewish people.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I understood her post perfectly. I'll translate: if you (a Jew) witness a terrible crime committed by another Jew, your first obligation is to do what the Torah asks of you (ask a Rav a shaila). The Rav will guide you to the next steps...
Great, now we are getting somewhere!

Though the OP's question as asked still makes no sense I can better understand where she was going.

So, can you or someone here speak to whether or not it is actually considered a "sin" to, or not to, report a crime?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

So, can you or someone here speak to whether or not it is actually considered a "sin" to, or not to, report a crime?
As in nearly all questions of "sin,' the answer is that it depends. If a Jew were to go to the police and turn in their fellow Jew without ever consulting a qualified Rabbi first, yes, that is "sin." If one consults their Rav and he tells them to call the police, then no, it is not a sin.

To re-tell a story (of Jews not turning in Jews to the police) in a public forum, with gross amounts of back story missing, or to quote Jewish hate websites that paint a false image of the Jewish community, is clearly a sin. No Rav need be consulted to understand that.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
It's your prerogative to create a massive chilul hashem.... You can answer to Hashem for defiling the Jewish people.
On Yom Kippur, I'll even daven for your soul. Go and actually read the Talmud. I have done nothing except stated the truth.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Hypothetically in a closed Orthodox community, the court system to deal with it is taken care of per Talmudic law by the elders of that community. In reality if someone passes information outside of the community to the secular system, they get arrested and judged by the outside community. But it requires someone within the community to break the code of silence.

Thank you I'm glad someone understands me~!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM

27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, your question as phrased does not make sense.

If it's a sin NOT to turn someone in then a religious person would turn them in!

You want someone who has committed a crime to be held accountable - so therefore you should be happy that not turning people in is considered "sinful", see??

A Jew is not supposed to dime on another Jew...It is to be kept within the community and judged by the Sanhedrin...Am I correct?...

Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
As in nearly all questions of "sin,' the answer is that it depends. If a Jew were to go to the police and turn in their fellow Jew without ever consulting a qualified Rabbi first, yes, that is "sin." If one consults their Rav and he tells them to call the police, then no, it is not a sin.

To re-tell a story (of Jews not turning in Jews to the police) in a public forum, with gross amounts of back story missing, or to quote Jewish hate websites that paint a false image of the Jewish community, is clearly a sin. No Rav need be consulted to understand that.
That make sense.

Thank you!

To Christians sin is that which separates us from God.

With what you just wrote above in mind, does that mean a Jew would look at not consulting a Rabbi first as a sin because it is disobedient to God's laws if you don't, thereby "separating you from God"?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times
Quote:

What happens if "there is no qualified Rabbi" to consult~?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thank you I'm glad someone understands me~!
Again, we all get your point now, but look at your sentence again. As written it asks the opposite of what you were trying to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism