U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times

Advertisements

it is not unique to jews common to many religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And on the same token, synagogues will never turn away someone who can't pay. Most of my local synagogues have lower rates for "young adults" (typically under 30, but sometimes under 40) and the elderly. When I couldn't afford to pay for tickets for high holy day services during chemo, all I had to do was reach out to the Rabbi and I was told not to worry - even though I did not belong to that synagogue.
My father was visiting NYC one year for Rosh Hashana (and his trip was unexpected) and he tried to go into a few different synagogues to pray/attend services and he was turned away since he didn't have a ticket paid in advance. Finally he found a synagogue of Uzbek Jews that allowed him to join their services.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 AM

27,954 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Jews do not tithe; nor do they pass a collection plate as many churches do on Sundays (the Christian Sabbath) because Jews aren't supposed to touch money on Shabbat. Just like every other religious institution, they need money to operate.

You are free to go to services any time of the year without paying membership. Nearly all congregations, however, require a payment (usually very steep) for the High Holidays, although some congregations hold HH services at no charge for the community. Services also are available online, obviously for free.

At least in the Reform movement, under Union for Reform Judaism guidelines, nobody can be denied membership because of an inability to pay. At least half of our congregation pays reduced rates.
See, that's what bothers me about today's Christianity...They changed HaShabbat from Saturday to Sunday...Why?...There is nothing in their own writings that tell them that they are correct...It is Saturday...Always has been and always will be...

Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM

27,954 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My father was visiting NYC one year for Rosh Hashana (and his trip was unexpected) and he tried to go into a few different synagogues to pray/attend services and he was turned away since he didn't have a ticket paid in advance. Finally he found a synagogue of Uzbek Jews that allowed him to join their services.

That's horrible!...You have to pay to talk to HaShem???...What, they're the Joel Olsteens of Judaism, "I can hook ya up with G-d, but it'll cost ya"...Glad he found a welcoming place...

Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Sounds like the UWS and the one he got into was probably near W 86 St.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
The Uzbek synagogue was orthodox, of course, hence the absence of ticketed seats.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The Uzbek synagogue was orthodox, of course, hence the absence of ticketed seats.
Being Orthodox had nothing to do with it. Doing a Mitzvah does.

Join - Chabad of Virginia<br><font size=-1>*understanding. love. joy.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 PM

5,654 posts, read 4,878,328 times
Learn something every day .
Never have I ever heard of such a thing .
Protestant churches do not MAKE you pay , every thing is given as a gift , and for those whom choose on their own call it a tithe.
Usually those whom push the plate hard are shunned for having a distorted agenda.
(Disciples creed, forbade them from asking for money) Not that all flowed it, but it was important to them to obey Jesus/ Holy Spirit.
Most of the time I know of, (63+ years worth) when giving from the heart, and in obedience on a personal level, God blesses the giver. I have personal experience with this.
Ministries I have been affiliated with, depend on voluntary support , and if the people are behind it, the surplus goes over-seas to help other churches, and other people, sending food, and medicine, and paying for doctors, and other professionals.

Very interesting contrast.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,044,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post

I've never ever heard of "Uzbek"~? What denominations is it~? Like does it fall under the Reform, Conservative or Orthodox~?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,339,069 times
I've never once seen an Orthodox shul deny a Yid admittance during the Yomin Noraim (Rosh Hashana until Simchas Torah). I would be suspect of your father's story. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or