U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times

Advertisements

I have read that Jews must pay monthly dues to be considered members of a synagogue. Why is that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have read that Jews must pay monthly dues to be considered members of a synagogue. Why is that?
Because they couldn't pay the yearly membership fee in one payment. What a silly question. Might as well ask the same silly question in the other Religious forums.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM

546 posts, read 564,883 times
Jews do not tithe; nor do they pass a collection plate as many churches do on Sundays (the Christian Sabbath) because Jews aren't supposed to touch money on Shabbat. Just like every other religious institution, they need money to operate.

You are free to go to services any time of the year without paying membership. Nearly all congregations, however, require a payment (usually very steep) for the High Holidays, although some congregations hold HH services at no charge for the community. Services also are available online, obviously for free.

At least in the Reform movement, under Union for Reform Judaism guidelines, nobody can be denied membership because of an inability to pay. At least half of our congregation pays reduced rates.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 3,510,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Because they couldn't pay the yearly membership fee in one payment. What a silly question. Might as well ask the same silly question in the other Religious forums.

Some could in one payment.
(Not us)

Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
That wasn't meant to be a silly question! What is the point of paying a "membership fee"? You have been good in answering my questions in the past. I'm going to chalk up your attitude to having a bad day!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Jews do not tithe; nor do they pass a collection plate as many churches do on Sundays (the Christian Sabbath) because Jews aren't supposed to touch money on Shabbat. Just like every other religious institution, they need money to operate.

You are free to go to services any time of the year without paying membership. Nearly all congregations, however, require a payment (usually very steep) for the High Holidays, although some congregations hold HH services at no charge for the community. Services also are available online, obviously for free.

At least in the Reform movement, under Union for Reform Judaism guidelines, nobody can be denied membership because of an inability to pay. At least half of our congregation pays reduced rates.

Thank you for your response. This proves that some people can answer questions without copping an attitude!

Old 09-22-2013, 06:08 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,431,379 times
My Rabbi told me that it's expensive to be Jewish. And he was correct.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 PM

12,005 posts, read 16,758,787 times
And on the same token, synagogues will never turn away someone who can't pay. Most of my local synagogues have lower rates for "young adults" (typically under 30, but sometimes under 40) and the elderly. When I couldn't afford to pay for tickets for high holy day services during chemo, all I had to do was reach out to the Rabbi and I was told not to worry - even though I did not belong to that synagogue.

Those who can pay do, and many strive to give more than membership dues, for the betterment of the entire community. Those who can't afford to pay aren't made to feel less, and often give back in other ways. For instance, the young adults at the synagogue I go to do the bulk of the volunteering on behalf of the synagogue, both within the Jewish and Boston metro communities.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times
And in some congregations, you have to pay extra for seats for the high holidays where some include it in your membership.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Membership dues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or