Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,622,772 times

Advertisements

The one-day rabbinic celebration of Simchat Torah (SIM-khat TOH-ruh) occurs on the 23rd day of the month of Tishrei, which this year began at sundown on Thursday, September 30 on the civil calendar, and commemorates the completion and the immediate renewal of the annual cycle of thrice weekly readings from the Torah (the Five Books of Moses):

The last portion of Devarim (Hebrew for "The words", which in Greek is "Deuteronomy") is chanted and this is immediately followed by chanting from the first chapter of B-e-r-e-i-s-h-i-t (Hebrew for "In the beginning", which in Greek is "Genesis"), renewing the cycle, reminding all that the Torah is a circle, and never ends.

This completion of, and immediate beginning again, of readings from the Torah is a time of great celebration. There are processions around the synagogue carrying Torah scrolls, accompanied by high-spirited singing and dancing. In some communities, the celebration spills out into the streets outside the synagogue.

As many people as possible are given the honor of carrying a Torah scroll in these processions. Children often join in and follow the processions around the synagogue, carrying small toy Torahs (stuffed plush toys or paper scrolls), as well as American and Israeli flags.

It is a time of great joy and happiness, and includes the consumption of large quantities of alcoholic beverages. Children are given apples and chocolate bars.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 10-01-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,043 times
I swear, you Jews are the holidayinist peeps I know.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,233,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The one-day rabbinic celebration of Simchat Torah (SIM-khat TOH-ruh) occurs on the 23rd day of the month of Tishrei, which this year began at sundown on Thursday, September 30 on the civil calendar, and commemorates the completion and the immediate renewal of the annual cycle of thrice weekly readings from the Torah (the Five Books of Moses):

The last portion of Devarim (Hebrew for "The words", which in Greek is "Deuteronomy") is chanted and this is immediately followed by chanting from the first chapter of B-e-r-e-i-s-h-i-t (Hebrew for "In the beginning", which in Greek is "Genesis"), renewing the cycle, reminding all that the Torah is a circle, and never ends.

I believe in something like this...In the begining God created Plants...before he made Humans...and all these Plants God Gave to us to use, and tend...are to be restored in the circle of renewal.
Because of Prohibition of certain plants, and the mindset of some of them being bad...when God said they were Good....the plants are being profaned...and not put back where they belong in the circle of life....for free...sinlessly.

As it is...to be sinless is part of the forgiveness...so is putting back what was taken in disobediance...to reverse the curse of Death, SOMETHING TO DO FOR GOD TO BE HAPPY WITH US?.

I believe that is what this celebration is about...correcting error...putting back..and restoring/ renewing something God made Good.

This completion of, and immediate beginning again, of readings from the Torah is a time of great celebration. There are processions around the synagogue carrying Torah scrolls, accompanied by high-spirited singing and dancing. In some communities, the celebration spills out into the streets outside the synagogue.

Again it is good to celebrate...But it is more important to do what God said and says...
Tend and keep the Garden..Genesis 2:15 with all the Givens GENESIS 9:3 (all plants and animals in good repour.)

As many people as possible are given the honor of carrying a Torah scroll in these processions. Children often join in and follow the processions around the synagogue, carrying small toy Torahs (stuffed plush toys or paper scrolls), as well as American and Israeli flags.

What Good is carrying the Torah scoll if they do not follow the words of it that are in it?

It is a time of great joy and happiness, and includes the consumption of large quantities of alcoholic beverages. Children are given apples and chocolate bars.
Until they Get it all right...it is not a time of Great Joy in the world, if they do not do what God said to do.....celebrating, Drinking, and eating chocolate and apples, seems a bit disobediant to me, if they never sowed a single seed, or stopped sinning/breaking commandments Of God in the world.

In the begining God created Marijuana and poppies, and grew them in his Garden in peace health and happiness!.

Are you gonna put him in prison, or paint him a criminal for Doing that today?

And if Not...why are they imprisoning or slaughtering his children for this very act?

Celebrating the torah?

Maybe when they start doing what is in that Holy book...Making EDENS...Instead of Grave yards...Peace instead of war...Sharing everything instead of charging and using the IDOL told not to have!....there might be reason to celebrate....

Last edited by Sir Les; 10-01-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I swear, you Jews are the holidayinist peeps I know. :D
Yeah! You found us out: being called the People of the Book is just a cover for being Party People.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 AM

138 posts, read 181,259 times
Happy Simchat Torah!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah! You found us out: being called the People of the Book is just a cover for being Party People.
Heh...I've got a couple of friends that are Jewish, and I occasionally go over to their house for some of their holiday celebrations. Usually the wife will call me up and say something like "Hey, it's our fried food holiday, want to come over?"

Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,031,648 times
Quote:

Chag Sameach and Happy Simchat Torah to you too!!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,031,648 times
Quote:
I swear, you Jews are the holidayinist peeps I know.
Yes we are!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
"Hey, it's our fried food holiday, want to come over?" :ok:
Otherwise known as Chanukah.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Otherwise known as Chanukah.
MmmMm Chanulatke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism