U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 5,157 times

Advertisements

What are considered the Noachide laws? I know there was a prohibition on blood given which is also a question I have. Do Jews abstain from blood? And do blood transfusions count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 04:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,697,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwebbrowsing View Post
What are considered the Noachide laws? I know there was a prohibition on blood given which is also a question I have. Do Jews abstain from blood? And do blood transfusions count?
Google the Noachide laws. I can't remember which ones they are. I think abstaining from blood is just eating. Kosher slaughtered meat is done in such a way as to drain the blood while the heart is still pumping.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate your answers. I'd really like to understand a Jewish point of view. Here are couple more questions.

From what I have learned from the Hebrew sciptures is that the theme of them is the coming of messiah and the establishment of God's kingdom. Is this reflective of Jewish beliefs?

Also why do Jews type G-d instead of God?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM

864 posts, read 734,634 times
Quote:
From what I have learned from the Hebrew sciptures is that the theme of them is the coming of messiah and the establishment of God's kingdom. Is this reflective of Jewish beliefs?
Hebrew scriptures are vast and contain everything from our obligations to our historical beginnings and prophecies. So to what do you refer?

Quote:
Also why do Jews type G-d instead of God?
To avoid accidental erasure of His name.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Well yes they teach many things but it seems to be the (permanent) establishment of his kingom is the underlying theme that permeates them all. For example, Christians say Genesis 3:15 is the first prophecy in scripture. Some say it is a prophecy about the messiah and some say it's a prophecy about God's kingdom. What is the Jewish view of that?

Maybe I should just ask how Jews views God's kingdom, past, present, and future. What are the general beliefs about it?

And I don't know what you mean by erasure of his name. Can you explain a little?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 AM

864 posts, read 734,634 times
Quote:
Well yes they teach many things but it seems to be the (permanent) establishment of his kingom is the underlying theme that permeates them all. For example, Christians say Genesis 3:15 is the first prophecy in scripture. Some say it is a prophecy about the messiah and some say it's a prophecy about God's kingdom. What is the Jewish view of that?
The Jewish view is that we don't explain Christian doctrine.

Quote:
And I don't know what you mean by erasure of his name. Can you explain a little?
Quote:
Maybe I should just ask how Jews views God's kingdom, past, present, and future. What are the general beliefs about it?
The belief is that G-d is infinite, omnipotent, and omniscient. Google the 13 principles of Jewish faith.

We don't deface the name of G-d. Once His name is down on paper, we do not deface that name. So by extension, many of us apply this rule to computer text by making sure we do not write completely write His name, even if it isn't in Hebrew.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 AM

637 posts, read 646,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I know that most Jews will tell you that gentiles should not keep the Torah outside of the Noachide laws. However, I was recently thinking about the way the yarmulke was adopted as a jewish custom. IIIRC, the high priest was commanded to wear a headcovering when serving in the temple. Because there was no negative command that regular jews could not wear the headcovering it was adopted by all jews as a sign of devotion to G-d.

When thinking about this I've often wondered why a gentile could not keep Torah. I know there are some mitzvot that specifically say they are only for ethnic Jews (I think eating the Passover is one of them...and the ones all Christians seem to want to do). But what about the many others which are not, that I have seen, limited to ethnic jews? IDK...

"ALL" Christians seem to want to observe Passover? Really? What percentage observe Passover? Please show your statistics. Also, the (very very very few) who do observe Passover do it because many people believe that the Last Supper meal of the Greek scriptures was a Passover meal. There is no indication that it is only for ethnic Jews.

Also, from Exodus - Chapter 13 (Parshah Bo and Beshalach) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

8. And should a proselyte reside with you, he shall make a Passover sacrifice to the Lord. All his males shall be circumcised, and then he may approach to make it, and he will be like the native of the land, but no uncircumcised male may partake of it. מח. וְכִי יָגוּר אִתְּךָ גֵּר וְעָשָׂה פֶסַח לַיהֹוָה הִמּוֹל לוֹ כָל זָכָר וְאָז יִקְרַב לַעֲשׂתוֹ וְהָיָה כְּאֶזְרַח הָאָרֶץ וְכָל עָרֵל לֹא יֹאכַל בּוֹ: 49. There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who resides in your midst." מט. תּוֹרָה אַחַת יִהְיֶה לָאֶזְרָח וְלַגֵּר הַגָּר בְּתוֹכְכֶם:

Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
"ALL" Christians seem to want to observe Passover? Really? What percentage observe Passover? Please show your statistics. Also, the (very very very few) who do observe Passover do it because many people believe that the Last Supper meal of the Greek scriptures was a Passover meal. There is no indication that it is only for ethnic Jews.

Also, from Exodus - Chapter 13 (Parshah Bo and Beshalach) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

8. And should a proselyte reside with you, he shall make a Passover sacrifice to the Lord. All his males shall be circumcised, and then he may approach to make it, and he will be like the native of the land, but no uncircumcised male may partake of it. מח. וְכִי יָגוּר אִתְּךָ גֵּר וְעָשָׂה פֶסַח לַיהֹוָה הִמּוֹל לוֹ כָל זָכָר וְאָז יִקְרַב לַעֲשׂתוֹ וְהָיָה כְּאֶזְרַח הָאָרֶץ וְכָל עָרֵל לֹא יֹאכַל בּוֹ: 49. There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who resides in your midst." מט. תּוֹרָה אַחַת יִהְיֶה לָאֶזְרָח וְלַגֵּר הַגָּר בְּתוֹכְכֶם:
First of all, I was just sharing a general observance. I am married to a Christian, we spent the first half of our marriage trying to find a church (which never happened) but I have a decent amount of experience with various types of Christianity.

Second of all, that verse you shared is clearly referring to those who have converted. That's what a proselyte is.

Third of all, relax a little. We can all be friends here.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 AM

637 posts, read 646,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
First of all, I was just sharing a general observance. I am married to a Christian, we spent the first half of our marriage trying to find a church (which never happened) but I have a decent amount of experience with various types of Christianity.

Second of all, that verse you shared is clearly referring to those who have converted. That's what a proselyte is.

Third of all, relax a little. We can all be friends here.
If I were not relaxed, I would not have responded. It is wrong to use "ALL". Very few Christians even think about Passover. You made a big mistake so don't respond in that manner.

There are people reading this forum for truthful information so you can't just write anything that comes into your mind.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
If I were not relaxed, I would not have responded. It is wrong to use "ALL". Very few Christians even think about Passover. You made a big mistake so don't respond in that manner.

There are people reading this forum for truthful information so you can't just write anything that comes into your mind.
I actually meant "all" as an exaggeration. It was hyperbole. I don't know that I would call it a big mistake. Miscommunication? Sure. I'm sorry it was so distressing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism