Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 6,255 times

Advertisements

Would anyone that practices Judaism be willing to answer some questions from someone with a Jehovah's Witness background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 PM

78 posts, read 274,764 times
Go ahead

JW is a cult btw

Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Yes I hear that a lot.

The first question I have is how diverse are Jewish beliefs? If you answer questions do you speak for yourself only or also for others?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwebbrowsing View Post
Yes I hear that a lot.

The first question I have is how diverse are Jewish beliefs? If you answer questions do you speak for yourself only or also for others?
Not Jewish myself, but Judaism is as diverse as any other religion. Just like Christianity, it ranges from something close to universalism to very strict, literal understandings of the Torah and Tanakh.

-NoCapo

Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
Quote:
Not Jewish myself, but Judaism is as diverse as any other religion. Just like Christianity, it ranges from something close to universalism to very strict, literal understandings of the Torah and Tanakh.
Judaism is not diverse, but Jews are diverse in their observance of Judaism.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I only answer questions for myself. Even Rabbis differ in their opinions, and I for one would not trust a Rabbi who considered his or her word as the absolute truth. Most Rabbis encourage their congregants to seek answers for themselves with guidance.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the answers. I have several question but I'm not sure where to begin. According to Judaism how does one draw close to God?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwebbrowsing View Post
Thanks for the answers. I have several question but I'm not sure where to begin. According to Judaism how does one draw close to God?
By observing the 613 mitzvos He gave us. And by talking to Him.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Are you referring to the laws in the Hebrew scriptures? And is this opportunity open to everyone or only to Jews? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am. I am familiar with the Hebrew scriptures but I know Jews apply them considerably different than Christians.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
I know that most Jews will tell you that gentiles should not keep the Torah outside of the Noachide laws. However, I was recently thinking about the way the yarmulke was adopted as a jewish custom. IIIRC, the high priest was commanded to wear a headcovering when serving in the temple. Because there was no negative command that regular jews could not wear the headcovering it was adopted by all jews as a sign of devotion to G-d.

When thinking about this I've often wondered why a gentile could not keep Torah. I know there are some mitzvot that specifically say they are only for ethnic Jews (I think eating the Passover is one of them...and the ones all Christians seem to want to do). But what about the many others which are not, that I have seen, limited to ethnic jews? IDK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism