U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:36 PM

78 posts, read 202,725 times

Advertisements

Just few questions to Jewish people...

1. Since Jesus was Jewish, why don't you celebrate Christmas and Easter?
2. Why don't you like the New Testament? There are lots of great and moral scriptures being found there such as the Sermon on the mount?
3. Where in the Torah does it specifically mention that Saturday is the Sabbath? Why is seventh day not any other day?
4. Do you wish Christianity never existed?
5. Where in the Torah does it say that women must wear skirts, wigs, side curles, etc. like Orthodox Jews?
6. When you were young, did you know anything about Christianity?
7. Do you wish that you all Jews believed in Jesus?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
I can answer all your questions with one answer. "Because we're Jews."

All your questions come from a viewpoint that Jews should be acting like and thinking like Chrstians. Sorry, but we're quite happy to think and act like Jews. Your religion and it's dogma hold no attraction to us. It's for you. We have our own.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,687,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaly View Post

2. Why don't you like the New Testament? There are lots of great and moral scriptures being found there such as the Sermon on the mount?
3. Where in the Torah does it specifically mention that Saturday is the Sabbath? Why is seventh day not any other day?
5. Where in the Torah does it say that women must wear skirts, wigs, side curles, etc. like Orthodox Jews?
Can I ask why you are asking these questions? Are you considering a conversion to Judaism? Or are you truly seeking to learn? I have to say that your questions have a bit of a confrontational feel. You won't get many answers with the tone you are using. I've only been reading this forum for a few months and it is amazing how many people saunter in here to try to prove why Jews are wrong about everything.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM

12,004 posts, read 16,753,802 times
Quote:

Posts like this are what I grew up with as the only Jew in a very conservative Christian town, and are also why I would never, ever consider Christianity as a possibly path for me or my family. Or any family, really.

TheFlipFlop is right - all of these can be answered by "Because we're Jewish." I could ask a Christian why they do not keep Shabbat, why they do not keep Kosher, or why they believe in a false Messiah, and they could answer the same: "Because we're Christian."

Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM

^^^ huh I'm an atheist... Just wondering

Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM

195 posts, read 212,218 times
Quote:
I am sympathetic with the Karaites, so some may not consider me Jewish, but anyway...

> 1. Since Jesus was Jewish, why don't you celebrate Christmas and Easter?

I am Jewish and I don't expect my birthday to be a national holiday.

> 2. Why don't you like the New Testament? There are lots of great and moral scriptures being found there such as the Sermon on the mount?

Matthew isn't bad but there isn't much more to like. I particularly dislike Paul.

> 3. Where in the Torah does it specifically mention that Saturday is the Sabbath? Why is seventh day not any other day?

There are no days of the week in the Torah but Jewish tradition has the Sabbath on a Saturday. Religions should keep their traditions.

> 4. Do you wish Christianity never existed?

No, Christianity based on Calvinism between roughly 1600 and 1800 was a great religion and produced the modern world. This was because it was highly moral. But modern Christianity is really horrible and does nothing for morality.

> 5. Where in the Torah does it say that women must wear skirts, wigs, side curles, etc. like Orthodox Jews?

The tenth commandment says not to covet. It is impossible to keep this commandment if women dress immodestly.

> 6. When you were young, did you know anything about Christianity?

I knew nothing about any religion, including Judaism, because my parents were secular.

> 7. Do you wish that you all Jews believed in Jesus?

All Jews that I know do believe in the Jesus in the sense that we believe he existed as a Jewish man.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM

^ Thnx.... More responds pls

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM

3,820 posts, read 3,509,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Can I ask why you are asking these questions? Are you considering a conversion to Judaism? Or are you truly seeking to learn? I have to say that your questions have a bit of a confrontational feel. You won't get many answers with the tone you are using. I've only been reading this forum for a few months and it is amazing how many people saunter in here to try to prove why Jews are wrong about everything.
I thought this as well.
Especially because of the op's comments of Jews in other threads.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Quote:
^ Thnx.... More responds pls
Your questions and your tone is offensive. I hope the Jewish posters ignore you until you clean up your tone. Ask a serious question about Judaism and perhaps you'll get a response.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:

1) Jesus was Jewish but didn't create Christmas and Easter which are not Jewish holidays.

2) The New Testament was written by Jesus's followers and was never accepted by the majority of Jews.

3) The Torah mentions that one should rest of the 7th day of the week. Since Sunday is the first day (and that is what it is called in Hebrew), Saturday is the Sabbath and Jewish day of rest.

4) I don't have a problem with the existence of Christianity.

5) It says that women must dress modestly. So the type of items you mention are ones that worn to keep the women's modesty and are accepted as such.

6) I knew that there was a holiday called Christmas which my family didn't celebrate and I had heard of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer and Santa Claus.

7) No. Jesus was a just Jewish man just like other Jewish men of his era. He is no different than others of his time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or