U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1245

Advertisements

I agree with Rabbi Caro. But only so long as there is not one single left daf of gamara learned in the world each day. The only way that will work is if non Torah Jews get onboard with a Torah lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1245
If you're going to ask the Torah scholars to start working. Then you'll have to match the lost Torah study net/net with the workers studying Torah. We're not in a position as a people to reduce the amount of Torah learning in the world, lest we suffer the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: OC/LA
3,831 posts, read 3,697,570 times
Reputation: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I agree with Rabbi Caro. But only so long as there is not one single left daf of gamara learned in the world each day. The only way that will work is if non Torah Jews get onboard with a Torah lifestyle.
You'll have to explain that in English.


Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
If you're going to ask the Torah scholars to start working. Then you'll have to match the lost Torah study net/net with the workers studying Torah. We're not in a position as a people to reduce the amount of Torah learning in the world, lest we suffer the consequences.
Seemed to do ok in the past 3,000 years without 100% dedicated Torah scholars without suffering the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1245
There's never been a time in Jewish history where we did not have Torah scholars 100% dedicated to learning. Out sages tell us that the world was created for the sake of Torah study, and that without it, the world would cease to exist. I don't expect you to understand and agree with that statement. No need to argue it out.

But just know that the protection the Jews enjoy in Israel has nothing to do with the fancy military equipment and has everything to do with the merit found in the study halls. We exist because of the Torah scholars, not because of weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: OC/LA
3,831 posts, read 3,697,570 times
Reputation: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
But just know that the protection the Jews enjoy in Israel has nothing to do with the fancy military equipment and has everything to do with the merit found in the study halls. We exist because of the Torah scholars, not because of weapons.
Well I'm glad you cleared that up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
....
But just know that the protection the Jews enjoy in Israel has nothing to do with the fancy military equipment and has everything to do with the merit found in the study halls. We exist because of the Torah scholars, not because of weapons.
You can revert into hiding from the real world all you want. But the current secular Israel exists solely due to its fancy military equipment. Because without it, the Jews in Israel would be slaughtered faster than the Syrians are being killed now. Six million Torah Observant Jews died in the past. We will not have Eight Million die now. Never again means NEVER AGAIN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
If you're going to ask the Torah scholars to start working. Then you'll have to match the lost Torah study net/net with the workers studying Torah. We're not in a position as a people to reduce the amount of Torah learning in the world, lest we suffer the consequences.
Problem is everyone wants to be a scholar and nobody wants to work. What's an acceptable number of scholars in a community 6,60,600,6000,60000,600000,etc. Even if we go back to the old days before the war, it was NEVER the entire community. It was a select few and even after the creation of Israel it was supposed to be a select few and not the 10,000's it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1245
And therein lies the fundamental difference between a Torah Observant Jew and a non Torah Observant Jew. I say everything comes from Hashem. You say it comes from your hard work. I used to think like you do. So I get where you're coming from. Let's hope we never have to find out who is right and who is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM
 
3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Problem is everyone wants to be a scholar and nobody wants to work. What's an acceptable number of scholars in a community 6,60,600,6000,60000,600000,etc. Even if we go back to the old days before the war, it was NEVER the entire community. It was a select few and even after the creation of Israel it was supposed to be a select few and not the 10,000's it is today.
Baruch HaShem we have tens of thousands sitting and learning today. There is indeed still hope for the Jewish people. We Jews have always prayed that the goyim won't take away our freedom to learn Torah. It appears we now also need to daven that our fellow Yidden don't take away those freedoms too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And therein lies the fundamental difference between a Torah Observant Jew and a non Torah Observant Jew. I say everything comes from Hashem. You say it comes from your hard work. I used to think like you do. So I get where you're coming from. Let's hope we never have to find out who is right and who is wrong.
Not that simple. As you keep forgetting I am a ex-Ger. My father who was Ger worked on Derech Burma. Even as a Rav, he had no problem getting his hands dirty. He as a Rav, made good use of his carpentry skills to earn a living and still have time to learn. Why should the TOJ of today be completely different then they were 75 years ago??

http://www.govisitisrael.com/articlenav.php?id=226
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top