U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,724,906 times

Advertisements

Rabbi divorce "gang" reveals perils, complexities of divorce in ultra-Orthodox world, insiders say - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,363,652 times
This story may be more appropriate for the NY forum than the Judaism forum. So two Orthodox Jews were involved in a crime. Are we supposed to take that as an indictment on all Orthodox Jews?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 PM

864 posts, read 736,619 times
If only there were an equal an opposite band of thugs allowing paternal visitation rights, all would be good.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM

21,396 posts, read 24,258,238 times
Even though this is extreme, this is not uncommon the Orthodox community.

Quote:

When the Talmud says that someone must divorce, and if the husband refuses than we
should coerce him. In this instance we may coerce even with sticks. see EH 154:21
http://getamarriage.com/?page_id=26
http://www.getora.com/
http://torahmusings.com/2012/04/protesting-without-coercing/

Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Even though this is extreme, this is not uncommon the Orthodox community.
Physical force is NEVER used by a Bais Din, in this day and age. If it were, Epstein wouldn't have been in this business. The harshest punishment a Bais Din resorts to is Cheirum and Seruv. This is the first time I've heard of physical attack being used to coerce a man to GET his wife. To my knowledge, a coerced GET is not even valid, rendering his services moot. Without knowing who his clients were, it's a safe bet to say they were mostly, if not all, modern orthodox.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 10-10-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,363,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's actually terribly uncommon. Yes, the concept of using violence to secure a get is a biblical concept. That doesn't mean it's common. Kind of like killing the rebellious child. No offense to the OP, but threads like these are meant to impugn, not to inform.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,442,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It's actually terribly uncommon. Yes, the concept of using violence to secure a get is a biblical concept. That doesn't mean it's common. Kind of like killing the rebellious child. No offense to the OP, but threads like these are meant to impugn, not to inform.
You are correct. My "favorite" is when they find an "Orthodox Rabbi" to talk about Messianic Judaism. Now that's a real treat, too.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:45 AM

21,396 posts, read 24,258,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You're looking at small communities. You cannot generalize based on your small community to a community that has over 100,000 Orthodox Jews with multiple sects. I'm guessing you've never seen a "Give a Get" demonstration and the angry mob style it gets. I've seen the excessive means used to coerce people to do what they are supposed to do.

I did not say it was common, don't add to my comments. But you and IW need to stop portraying the extremely Orthodox as living an innocent lifestyle compared to the world outside of them. This is simply not true. There are the (some) Shomrim that cross the line in multiple communities that act like vigilantes. There a numerous photos and videos on the net showing this.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 AM

32,289 posts, read 33,190,021 times
In Israel in some extreme cases men have been sent to prison for refusing to give their wife a get.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I did not say it was common, don't add to my comments. But you and IW need to stop portraying the extremely Orthodox as living an innocent lifestyle compared to the world outside of them. This is simply not true.
Yes, compared to the world around us, we are living an innocent life, but the world around us is not our measuring stick. Compared to our generations before us, we need major improvement.

I love it how the "women's rights" crowd yells "Why don't the Rabbis do enough for agunos?" Guess what, they can't. You married a jerk, you're in trouble. You're fighting with your ex spouse, he might use the Get as leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or