U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Things haven't changed... per se. But up until recently, there wasn't much of a Baal Teshuva movement and no inter-marrieds have ever sought to connect with the faithful. Fortunately, the tide has turned and many Jews are finding their way home.
IDK, my mom says that my dad was not welcomed warmly into the Jewish community. Some of that may have been cultural as my dad wasn't college educated. I dont think my grandparents were terribly pleased with her choice for reasons other than religious. But from her perspective it was similar to what other posters here are saying...which i haven't personally experienced that.

And as for the Jewish fathers marrying non jews, I understand why those laws were made. But I think the fact that israel considers someone a Jew who has a Jewish father shows the necessity of broadening our ideals. I can't understand why someone raised in synagogue and givens jewish education with a Jewish father but not mother would have to go through a formal conversion. Splitting hairs if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,641,619 times
I have tried very hard to be involved in the Jewish community and meet a Jewish wife. The community has never really accepted me - not at Solomon Schecter, not at temple, not at AEPI and ZBT, not at various Chabad houses, and certainly not at the JCF and other like organizations. All I am is a number to them, and my loyalty has not been matched.

As to meeeting Jewish girls, well, I've tried for many, many years, and to absolute no avail. Is it my fault? Perhaps, but it's certainly not for a lack of trying.

Marrying a non-Jew was at one time unthinkable. Now it is reality. I wish things were different and I could raise my future children Jewish, but you only have one chance at life, and I've seen friends (some of whom are older) waiting and failing and trying and failing to meet Jewish women. Always failing, and I will not be alone the rest of my life like them.

The failure is the community, not the secular Jews who have such limited options that we have to broaden our net.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yea it's really sad to watch all the hatred coming from these 2.
I would be curious to hear how you came to this bizarre conclusion?

This thread clearly points out, not by its Torah Observant followers, but rather by the rest of its Jews, that all or nearly all of the intermarried couples either already have abandoned their Judaism to some extent, or plan to do so with their children. And THAT is exactly the frightening point the Pew report so clearly pointed out.

The truth is a Jewish woman can intermarry, and her children will be Jewish (a Jewish man obviously does not have the same luxury). But the likelihood of that intermarried couple's grandchildren ever stepping foot in a synagogue in their lifetime is practically nil. And that my friends, the statistics show, is a holocaust greater than anything hitler could have ever dreamed up for us.

Is telling the truth in a direct and clear manner hatred? Or is it just truth?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I have tried very hard to be involved in the Jewish community and meet a Jewish wife. The community has never really accepted me - not at Solomon Schecter, not at temple, not at AEPI and ZBT, not at various Chabad houses, and certainly not at the JCF and other like organizations. All I am is a number to them, and my loyalty has not been matched.

As to meeeting Jewish girls, well, I've tried for many, many years, and to absolute no avail. Is it my fault? Perhaps, but it's certainly not for a lack of trying.

Marrying a non-Jew was at one time unthinkable. Now it is reality. I wish things were different and I could raise my future children Jewish, but you only have one chance at life, and I've seen friends (some of whom are older) waiting and failing and trying and failing to meet Jewish women. Always failing, and I will not be alone the rest of my life like them.

The failure is the community, not the secular Jews who have such limited options that we have to broaden our net.
Have you tried any of the online dating resources?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 AM

3,830 posts, read 3,514,463 times
I apologize.
Flip has a way of putting things into a different perspective (for me at least).

Truth is not hatred, perhaps it was in the delivery.
I come from a different place. A place I know too well.

My conversion has brought my husband and his family BACK to his roots.
I started a chapter in my city at my former conservative synagogue that is still going strong after 3 years.
Mothers Circle.
it brought Non Jewish women together. These women were expected by their Jewish husbands. And in laws to raise and educate their children In Judaism.
These women were extremely involved in their reform and conservative temples and schools.
Some of these women converted, some were true to their faith.
THE WOMEN were the driving force in providing a Jewish home.
These are the type of people who I surround myself with.

I guess I responded because of my experiences in my Jewish Community.
I have NEVER had a negative experience, situation, conversation, etc....

I knew when we started attending Chabad what to expect.
Again, I have never felt excluded, felt less than a born Jew etc...

I promised I would not comment, but here I am again in this thread.
thanks flip.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Have you tried any of the online dating resources?
Yeah:

Jdate
Match
Fitness-singles
and Okcupid

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM

A matchmaker?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Nothing formal outside of friends and family trying to help out. Not to mention matchmakers can be very, very expensive and with little to show for it.

At this point it's all a moot point anyway because I'm in a committed relationship. I was just earlier expressing my frustrations with our community, not really looking for advice on how to meet a Jewish girl. That boat has sailed.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM

I hear you TB.
happy sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or