U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:39 PM

864 posts, read 735,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As I stated previously, I was under the impression that a Jew that converts is no longer a Jew. But Iwish seemed to disagree with that.
A Jew who converts is a meshumad (apostate) and is treated as such. For instance, a meshumid will not be buried in a Jewish cemetery. He cannot free himself of his Jewishness, ever. I'd compare it to a sex change. One can become a mutilated male or female, but will always remain his original gender biologically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,718,507 times
So you're saying our eminent Judaic scholar TFF is wrong and the Torah does not in fact say that converts cease to be Jews.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 3,357,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So you're saying our eminent Judaic scholar TFF is wrong and the Torah does not in fact say that converts cease to be Jews.
Iwish and I are not disagreeing. Technically, they might still be Jewish. In all practical matters, however, they are no longer a member of the tribe. And in practice, they are usually shunned as well. It's spiritual suicide for a Jew to become another religion. They give up their Olam Haba (world to come) with the choice to worship man gods. Becoming a Muslim is not nearly as problematic since Muslims are monotheistic.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Technically, they might still be Jewish.
What do you mean by this? The historical rabbis were able to come up with a decision that said YOU SHALL NOT TURN ON A LIGHT SWITCH DURING THE SABBATH but couldn't come up with a definitive answer regarding apostasy and heresy? I find that very strange.

For example, if a Orthodox Jewish woman converts to Hinduism & marries a Hindu. Is the child of this union "Jewish" according to orthodox doctrine?

Last edited by HyperionGap; 11-06-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

3,969 posts, read 3,357,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
What do you mean by this?
I do not believe our sages agreed if an apostate remains Jewish or not. If you truly want to understand this, then you should reach out to a posek (an Orthodox rabbi who is a halachic decider). I doubt there is a one size fits all with your question.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Fair enough. Maybe you should bring it up next time you're in class and your rabbi can give his opinion. The chances of me talking to a posek are highly unlikely.

I honestly do think there is a concrete answer to this question. Religions like to keep track of who is in & who is out. The first documented census was done by Moses at god's command, if I recall correctly.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 PM

864 posts, read 735,823 times
Quote:
For example, if a Orthodox Jewish woman converts to Hinduism & marries a Hindu. Is the child of this union "Jewish" according to orthodox doctrine?
Yes, the child is Jewish.

Quote:
I honestly do think there is a concrete answer to this question.
Dittos

Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM

21,382 posts, read 24,216,629 times
http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/45132/jewish/What-Makes-a-Jew-Jewish.htm
http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/beingjewish.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or