Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM

671 posts, read 854,309 times

Advertisements

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Unless you believe in Jesus, then it is only a religion.
Correct. Which btw, is called Chrstianity last time I checked.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Correct. Which btw, is called Chrstianity last time I checked.
I just find it humorous that a jew can be any other religion and still be considered jewish except for christian. I really don't like the lack of consistency. It bothers my sense of integrity.

I personally think this stems from the very negative jewish christian relations of the last couple thousand years. but i think this is changing. my personal opinion is G-d can and does communicate with different people. None of us truly understand G-d completely. Jews might have a leg up on that, but that doesn't mean we (as a people) have all the answers. we don't.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I just find it humorous that a jew can be any other religion and still be considered jewish except for christian.
Definitely not an expert on the subject, but I don't think that's true. I think you can be agnostic/atheist and still be a seen as a Jewish, but a practicing Muslim really can't be considered Jewish.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
but a practicing Muslim really can't be considered Jewish.
Do you mean a Jew who has converted to Islam? A Jew is a Jew for eternity. Those who convert to other religions are apostates, but they are still Jews.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
A Jew, either born or converted, who chooses to follow another religion is considered a heretic and apostate, and they are cut off from the Jewish people. And that goes for all religions; it doesn't matter if you choose to follow Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc.

The only grey area I can think of would be non-theistic religions such as Taoism and some forms of Buddhism.

But a person in that position can always renounce their non-Jewish faith, perform teshuvah, and rejoin the Jewish people.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
I've heard it both ways. I'm pretty sure TFF has told some messianics that have stumbled onto this site that they are no longer jews. (Correct me if I'm wrong, TFF.) It seems to me that there is a particularly antagonistic view of chrstians over other religions. Not that it isn't understandable given the sneakiness of their programs to win over converts. It seems kind of like Jews as an establishment are using the "you are not a jew" rhetoric as a way to avoid conversations. Just my observations...

Of course there s so much more to this conversation and I've read so much in the last few months that my head spins. I'm not really sharing much here because I haven't seen balanced conversations here. I can't think of a single issue where there has been give and take and learning from each other. I can't expect it to be any different on such an explosive topic.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Messianics who were born Jewish may technically still be Jewish, but they are cut off from our people. They become de facto Chrstians at that point, and no longer represent anything having anything to do with the Jews.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
A Jew is a Jew for eternity. Those who convert to other religions are apostates, but they are still Jews.
Quote:
Messianics who were born Jewish may technically still be Jewish, but they are cut off from our people. They become de facto Chrstians at that point, and no longer represent anything having anything to do with the Jews.
As I stated previously, I was under the impression that a Jew that converts is no longer a Jew. But Iwish seemed to disagree with that.

Is a de facto Christian a Jew or not?

It is still unclear to me.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Think I found the answer in a previous thread.

Quote:
If a born Jew begins proactively following Jesus, or Buddha or "insert non-Jewish deity here," then he does indeed cease to be a Jew, accorinding to the Torah. There are non Torah Observant Jews who feel otherwise, and say once born a Jew always a Jew, but that's not a Torah concept.
TFF how come you're not calling Iwish for being non torah observant!? What drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism