Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 AM

28 posts, read 29,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Looks like you've done your homework. Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have.
Thank you very much. Could I ask what sect of Judaism you belong to? I have a strong hunch it's either Orthodox or even Conservative, but I could be wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I'm a Torah Observant Jew. Orthodox Jew might be another way to say it.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm a Torah Observant Jew. Orthodox Jew might be another way to say it.
Oh ok , it figured therefore why you were attempting to discourage me.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
There's nothing wrong with finding a synagogue to worship in and including some Jewish practice in your life. Just be honest with the community you're in and be up front about what you want and what you are doing.

We have several non-Jews who join us for worship; some wish to convert but aren't ready to take that step and others have no intention of ever converting but find our practice to be very filling to them.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
There's nothing wrong with finding a synagogue to worship in and including some Jewish practice in your life. Just be honest with the community you're in and be up front about what you want and what you are doing.

We have several non-Jews who join us for worship; some wish to convert but aren't ready to take that step and others have no intention of ever converting but find our practice to be very filling to them.
Would I be right in assuming you belong to a Reform Shul? When I visited my local one they said the exact thing to me, which is why I'm perhaps far more inclined towards it as it adopts a more welcoming approach, with no disrespect to either the Masorti, or Orthodox movements.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab123456 View Post
I know little about the Hasidim: they emphasise a more spiritual and esoteric reading of the Torah, which is why they tend to promote Kabbalah, and Midrash. But why the suggestion?

Because I was Ger upwards of my teens and I would not wish the Hasidic lifestyle on anyone.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
or even Conservative, but I could be wrong
This made me chuckle that someone asked TFF if he's Conservative. Sorry.

To the OP, good luck. It took me years to work up the nerve to go to a service, and several more years to go to another one. Then I just couldn't stop.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Would I be right in assuming you belong to a Reform Shul? When I visited my local one they said the exact thing to me, which is why I'm perhaps far more inclined towards it as it adopts a more welcoming approach, with no disrespect to either the Masorti, or Orthodox movements.
Yes. The Reform people were very kind to me when I started out.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
This made me chuckle that someone asked TFF if he's Conservative. Sorry.

To the OP, good luck. It took me years to work up the nerve to go to a service, and several more years to go to another one. Then I just couldn't stop.
It's funny in hindsight lol. Thank you for your encouraging words, I agree the biggest obstacle is mustering courage , but I imagine that develops over time. Could you perhaps recommend any more literature or good videos regarding the process ?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Yes. The Reform people were very kind to me when I started out.
Hence, they're the largest denomination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism