U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Thanks, but I can never become Chasidic, so no worries. There is no hope for me ever to be even really Jewish.
The day is nearly over and tomorrow is a new day. The future is always a blank slate waiting to be written on. You can be as Jewish as you are comfortable with. Who knows, you may become Baal Teshuva sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

28 posts, read 23,944 times
Can we stick to the OT please?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab123456 View Post
Gerim refers to a group of converts(the suffix often indicating a plural). Hence, I assumed Ger means convert, and indeed I have seen it in the context of Reform Judaism as well.

No. Giyurim does. Hence the path this thread took. If your title were different then it might have taken the path you intended. BTW FYI FWIW tangents are allowable on C-D as long as they are related (indirectly or directly) to the topic. So for your next thread, please attempt to be more concise in your heading as well as in the body of your OP.

Also BTW using OT in the R&S forum mean Old Testament. Thus OP is more generally used to signify Original Post.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No. Giyurim does. Hence the path this thread took. If your title were different then it might have taken the path you intended. BTW FYI FWIW tangents are allowable on C-D as long as they are related (indirectly or directly) to the topic. So for your next thread, please attempt to be more concise in your heading as well as in the body of your OP.

Jewish teaching is very clear on the subject of Gerim (converts), who are to be considered Jews in every respect. It is also clear that some Jews, especially those of an orthodox or Israeli background, feel that a convert is not a “real” Jew. They will admit that a Ger usually knows more about Judaism than many born Jews. They also often confess that Gerim practice more Judaism in their homes and in the synagogue then they themselves do. Yet they insist that Gerim are not “really” Jewish.
Welcome Gerim - Rabbi Maller

Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,343,362 times
Quote:
Jewish teaching is very clear on the subject of Gerim (converts), who are to be considered Jews in every respect. It is also clear that some Jews, especially those of an orthodox or Israeli background, feel that a convert is not a “real” Jew. They will admit that a Ger usually knows more about Judaism than many born Jews. They also often confess that Gerim practice more Judaism in their homes and in the synagogue then they themselves do. Yet they insist that Gerim are not “really” Jewish.
You slander Orrhodox Jews with that statement. When someone goes thru an Orthodox Jewish conversion process with an acceptable beis din, their neshama is reborn and they are 100% Jewish. There are a few converts in my shul, and in exactly no way are they treated as any different than the other Yidden in the shul.

When a convert comes into the shul who converted thru a reform or conservative process, they are told the truth that they are not Jewish and are not called to the Torah nor are they counted in a minyan. It would be a lie to do otherwise.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not Orthodox, so as long your converting for the right reasons and attempt to live by the rules of religion then there is nothing to be fearful of.

A copy and paste of an article is not a response to a post. But if you need a link, here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_to_Judaism

In Hebrew, even phonetically there is no way to get Ger even without vowels to not get Giyur its גיור

Last edited by Pruzhany; 11-09-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A copy and paste of an article is not a response to a post. But if you need a link, here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_to_Judaism

Hebrew:
גיורגיו
It's where I first encountered the term.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It's where I first encountered the term.
Now you know how to spell it correctly

Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,047,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You slander Orrhodox Jews with that statement. When someone goes thru an Orthodox Jewish conversion process with an acceptable beis din, their neshama is reborn and they are 100% Jewish. There are a few converts in my shul, and in exactly no way are they treated as any different than the other Yidden in the shul.

When a convert comes into the shul who converted thru a reform or conservative process, they are told the truth that they are not Jewish and are not called to the Torah nor are they counted in a minyan. It would be a lie to do otherwise.
In my opinion, I disagree that a person should not be counted in a minyan or called to the Torah if they have converted and follow the ways. I don't see why they are being prejudice towards them if they feel that their way is the Jewish way and they do all that is expected.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,343,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
In my opinion, I disagree that a person should not be counted in a minyan or called to the Torah if they have converted and follow the ways. I don't see why they are being prejudice towards them if they feel that their way is the Jewish way and they do all that is expected.
What do you mean by "follow the ways?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or