U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,137 times

Advertisements

My mom has been having some health problems and her doctor has recommended testing for Gauchers disease. One in 450 Ashkenazi Jews are positive for Gauchers as opposed to 1 in 60,000 in the general population. I am 50% jewish myself and having married a non-jew my kids are only 25%. This makes our odds of being positive or even carriers much, much less.

Similarly, I own, for the first time in my life a pure-bred dog. He is 5 years old and has had more health issues than any mutt I have ever owned. I'm thankful for a little genetic diversity. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 AM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Well one could marry a Sephardic or Mizrachi Jew rather than marry a non-Jew I think for the same effect.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well one could marry a Sephardic or Mizrachi Jew rather than marry a non-Jew I think for the same effect.
Technically, yes. I can't imagine how hard that would be to find, though.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,703,571 times
Yeah my gf was telling me about how genetic diseases are a big problem among the Amish also.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Technically, yes. I can't imagine how hard that would be to find, though.
It's pretty easy if one lives in Israel. The base population is Sephardic/Mizrahi rather than Ashkenazi.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's pretty easy if one lives in Israel. The base population is Sephardic/Mizrahi rather than Ashkenazi.
Yes, but I don't live the, don't speak the language, and don't have the resources to make Aliyah. Pretty big hurdles to cross.

Another potential fix for this problem is for Judaism to become evangelistic. Pull in some new genes.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Quote:
Yes, but I don't live the, don't speak the language, and don't have the resources to make Aliyah. Pretty big hurdles to cross.
But you're already married with children, so its sort of moot for you at this point. But your kids, when they come of age, can go and do teen programs in Israel and learn the lifestyle. Hebrew is not needed in Israel since English is taught to them at a young age as part of their curriculum.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,388,876 times
Quote:
Another potential fix for this problem is for Judaism to become evangelistic. Pull in some new genes.
Converts join the tribe every day.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
But you're already married with children, so its sort of moot for you at this point. But your kids, when they come of age, can go and do teen programs in Israel and learn the lifestyle. Hebrew is not needed in Israel since English is taught to them at a young age as part of their curriculum.

Always good to expose Jewish teens to Israel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Converts join the tribe every day.
Well I don't know what the statistics are but it is another way.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 AM

637 posts, read 645,355 times
Quote:

Judaism is already evangelistic. Do you know how many conversions in the US are because a girlfriend/boyfriend has convinced their SO to become a Jew?

Also, if you really want to make Aliyah the government of Israel and several International organizations will help you financially. You can learn Hebrew after you arrive (or even start studying it before you move)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or