U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,047,125 times

Advertisements

I know there are branches of Judaism, but I thought there were branches in-between these on this site. We only have the first three in my city, but when I travel I've met people who say they are Modern Orthodox or Conseradox. Is there other branches and if so what~? What else can you say about the branches in-between the ones mentioned in this article:

Branches of Judaism - Denominations Humanistic Reconstructionist Reform Conservative Orthodox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,746 times
There is a newish movement called Jewish Renewal. it seems to focus on moving and meaningful prayer. I think they are not so much focused on belief but on style of prayer service. I don't know much about it though so someone correct me if I'm wrong. https://www.aleph.org/

We had a music group that came to perform here from Israel, Nava Tehilah, associated with the Jewish Renewal movement. The music was phenomenal and I bought two CD's. :-) Here is one of their songs:
Nava Tehila - Oseh Shalom - YouTube

Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 AM

21,366 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I know there are branches of Judaism, but I thought there were branches in-between these on this site. We only have the first three in my city, but when I travel I've met people who say they are Modern Orthodox or Conseradox.
You mean Consevadox. It is for those of us who feel comfortable in Orthodox as well as Conservative. But our ideals fall somewhere in the middle of both.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
There is a newish movement called Jewish Renewal. it seems to focus on moving and meaningful prayer. I think they are not so much focused on belief but on style of prayer service. I don't know much about it though so someone correct me if I'm wrong. https://www.aleph.org/

We had a music group that came to perform here from Israel, Nava Tehilah, associated with the Jewish Renewal movement. The music was phenomenal and I bought two CD's. :-) Here is one of their songs:
Nava Tehila - Oseh Shalom - YouTube
The song you refereed to as "their song", it isn't. It is a verse taken out of the last portion of "The Mourners Kaddish" in the Reform prayer book, which is called something different in their book.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM

21,366 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
The song you refereed to as "their song", it isn't. It is a verse taken out of the last portion of "The Mourners Kaddish" in the Reform prayer book, which is called something different in their book.

Its not reform.

59. SE Oseh Shalom Song - Art, Music & Poetry

This is the first recording of it from a Hasidic festival in 1969.

http://www.kolbseder.com/jeffklepper/oseh_fest.mp3

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Its not reform.

59. SE Oseh Shalom Song - Art, Music & Poetry

This is the first recording of it from a Hasidic festival in 1969.

http://www.kolbseder.com/jeffklepper/oseh_fest.mp3

Never heard it sung at the Orthodox congregation.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,746 times
Quote:
All these traditional prayers have a zillion artistic interpretations. I was just saying that this is their interpretation.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM

637 posts, read 645,054 times
Quote:
I know there are branches of Judaism, but I thought there were branches in-between these on this site. We only have the first three in my city, but when I travel I've met people who say they are Modern Orthodox or Conseradox. Is there other branches and if so what~? What else can you say about the branches in-between the ones mentioned in this article:

Branches of Judaism - Denominations Humanistic Reconstructionist Reform Conservative Orthodox
In what city are you?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
In what city are you?
I won't say what city I am in, but will say I am in the state of laughter

Old 11-09-2013, 09:26 PM

637 posts, read 645,054 times
Quote:
I won't say what city I am in, but will say I am in the state of laughter
Ok. I was just asking because you mentioned that there were only three in your city.

No worries....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism