Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 23,361 times

Advertisements

I find Judaism to be, in many ways, a wonderful religion. The philosophies found within, the emphasis on community & education, Kabbalah, etc.

There have been many times, including very recently, where I found myself researching Judaism extensively with the intent of possibly converting. However, I always seem to stop and never go with it. So what stops me? Many passages from the Torah/"OT".

I always try to read religious/spiritual scriptures within the context of when they were written, but with as much good I can find in the Torah, I also find many despicable, barbaric passages as well. I then find myself in a dilemma: can I truly be part of a religion that I find in many ways to be beautiful, but also ignore many of the Torah's violent, out-dated verses and passages? Is that intellectually or spiritually ingenuous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
If you don't like the Torah, just don't convert.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Do you really think that by changing your question to another format that we are so gullible to give you a better response than the last time you posted here?

Jewish-Buddhism.

Troll alert!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 23,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you really think that by changing your question to another format that we are so gullible to give you a better response than the last time you posted here?

Jewish-Buddhism.

Troll alert!
Okay then...

I'm not trolling. Instead of restarting that thread, I wanted to start a new one. Ever since posting that last thread, I tired to go full on into religious Buddhism, but it ended up not clicking with me.

So I made a thread about my interest in Judaism (which I suppose never went away), but with some internal issues I have with some passages and verses in the Torah. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Don't you know that you can believe anything you want to? You do not have to call yourself Jewish or Baptist or what ever. It's what's in your heart, not what you read in a book somewhere.

You can go to church on Sunday or Saturday in any house of worship. Be Honest!! It doesn't do a thing for you to pretend that you think everything you see written in the Torah or Bible is wonderful.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainn_Night View Post
Okay then...

I'm not trolling. Instead of restarting that thread, I wanted to start a new one. Ever since posting that last thread, I tired to go full on into religious Buddhism, but it ended up not clicking with me.

So I made a thread about my interest in Judaism (which I suppose never went away), but with some internal issues I have with some passages and verses in the Torah. Nothing more. Nothing less.
You are trolling since the first five books of Moses are nearly the same as the Old Testament (some the wording has been changed to fit Christianity, but very similar).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Testament

The stories do not make up the religion, the 613 commandments do.

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainn_Night View Post
I find Judaism to be, in many ways, a wonderful religion. The philosophies found within, the emphasis on community & education, Kabbalah, etc.

There have been many times, including very recently, where I found myself researching Judaism extensively with the intent of possibly converting. However, I always seem to stop and never go with it. So what stops me? Many passages from the Torah/"OT".

I always try to read religious/spiritual scriptures within the context of when they were written, but with as much good I can find in the Torah, I also find many despicable, barbaric passages as well. I then find myself in a dilemma: can I truly be part of a religion that I find in many ways to be beautiful, but also ignore many of the Torah's violent, out-dated verses and passages? Is that intellectually or spiritually ingenuous?
Read from Judaism itself (Torah) about how Judaism started, let's just say it had something to do with animal sacrifice and bisecting the carcass in half. Why can't you just be human. Why need a divisive religion at all. Will having a religion make you think you know or belong. Well your human nature says you don't know and already belong. What did you find in the Torah? Please be specific.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
It's not possible to become Jewish without agreeing to the entire Torah. A proper beis din will never approve your conversion until that occurs.

Google "B'nei Noah." For sure that should be good enough for you.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
You mean an orthodox beis din.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I think we'd all agree that the only way to be universally accepted as a Jew (via conversion) is to convert thru an Orthodox beis din. And an Orthodox beis din will reject your conversion unless you can prove you are living a life that includes observing all of the mitzvos. Furthermore, you must prove that your hashkafo (Jewish outlook) is on line with the Jewish people who have agreed to guard the Torah and it's mitzvos.

The example of the OP, he'd be rejected 100% of the time in front of a proper beis din. So whether he likes Judaism is irrelevant. He is not a candidate to become Jewish with his current hashkafo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism