U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 3,350,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What do you mean by "kosher kesuba"~? It's a paper right, so why does the paper need to be kosher~?
Kosher, as in halachically acceptable. Yes, it's a paper, but if not filed out or created properly, it is worthless. It must contain certain elements. It requires proper witnesses, etc.

There are entire volumes of material written by our sages on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,709,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What is crazy? 462 out if how many? What if this only represents 1% of all divorces and you are being duped with an incomplete picture of what is really going on?
The article said 1 out of 2 ultraorthodox were given a get refusal. Last I checked, that's not 1%. Secondly, I also agree with this point the article made:
“[Progress] can’t just be about galvanizing protests for a particular person, but rather about making sure the next 500 people don’t go through this particular horror.”
You are always talking about how the ultra orthodox population is growing in size. This is just going to mean more and more women whose lives are ruined.

Finally, I actually have no issue if ultra orthodox want to keep the current marriage system (in the U.S). While, I may not agree with it and would never wish it upon anyone I actually care about, there is absolutely nothing stopping an ultra orthodox woman from getting a civil divorce and telling the whole community to screw off. Just like any other contract, those woman (supposedly) knew what it was they signed up for when they got married and what would be required of them from to get a divorce. On the other hand, in Israel, where the religious courts are the binding court of law for marriage disputes, I think that is absolutely absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
And how many of the 462 agunos are shaking down their husbands for money and withholding visitation rights?
If I am understanding you correctly, that's a civil issue and should be dealt with in a civil court. Not used to hold someone hostage in a rabbinic court.

Quote:
Anybody with a whit of common sense knows that there are two sides to every divorce. So don't eat your heart out.
“When dealing with contentious divorces, the first thing people say is, ‘There are two sides to every story.’ There are not two sides in abuse.”
Good thing you read the article.

Quote:
True, there are husbands who withhold gets for no reason, but that's a result of their controlling personalities and certainly is not a problem with the system.
The fact there is no system in place for anyone or group (including a beit din) to supersede the "husbands who withhold gets for no reason" seems to be problematic to me. Ethically, why do you think that's ok? And don't say, because that's what our sages said. Why do YOU think it's morally acceptable for a husband to withhold a get under any and all duress.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,159,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I have a solution. If the guarders of the Torah (Observant Jews) are doing such a "lousy job" of guarding the Torah (which our fellow posters have tried to make clear with all these threads about how terrible Orthodox Jews are), how about our non Observant Jewish friends join us in this important duty and help us out? Stop trying to throw out the baby with the bath water, and help us improve the water. You can all start by stopping spreading all this hatred and lashen hara against our fellow Jews with hateful threads like this one. Join a Torah class. Light candles on Friday night. Davening in a proper minyan during the week. You can do this. :-)
You know what's funny that our Orthodox brethren fail to mention is that if it's the other way around, the male does not have to get a Get. Why? Under Heter Meah Rabbanim a male can have multiple wives.

http://haemtza.blogspot.com/2013/10/agunos-good-intentions-gone-wrong.html

Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 372 times
462? Really are you kidding? Most ridiculous "survey'' I've ever seen. It's like the guy asked a couple of people in his neighborhood and tried to make what they said sound official.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism