Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,019,308 times

Advertisements

Divorce in the Orthodox Jewish Community Can Be Brutal, Degrading and Endless

Great article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 PM

671 posts, read 849,556 times
I respect her for not being ashamed to tell her story....

Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 AM

43,292 posts, read 44,007,680 times
This is the problem in Israel where there is no civil divorce (and of course no civil marriage).

Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,638,269 times
"In Israel, one in three women seeking divorce is threatened with a get refusal or extortion from her husband. Among the religious and ultra Orthodox community in Israel, that number jumps to one in every two women."

"A 2011 study by the Mellman Group reported 462 cases of agunot in the U.S. and Canada between 2005 and 2010"

Crazy.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,342,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
"In Israel, one in three women seeking divorce is threatened with a get refusal or extortion from her husband. Among the religious and ultra Orthodox community in Israel, that number jumps to one in every two women."

"A 2011 study by the Mellman Group reported 462 cases of agunot in the U.S. and Canada between 2005 and 2010"

Crazy.
What is crazy? 462 out if how many? What if this only represents 1% of all divorces and you are being duped with an incomplete picture of what is really going on?

Once again, you have to ask yourself why there is so much focus on small events happening inside the Orthodox community being used to impugn an entire group of people. What is the reason there is so much venom pointed towards the guarders of the Torah?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM

864 posts, read 867,494 times
Quote:
What is crazy? 462 out if how many? What if this only represents 1% of all divorces and you are being duped with an incomplete picture of what is really going on?
And how many of the 462 agunos are shaking down their husbands for money and withholding visitation rights?

Quote:
What is the reason there is so much venom pointed towards the guarders of the Torah?
This is what's meant by the "shechina is in golus. Am Haartzim (ignoramuses) have always hated Talmidei Chachamim (remember Rebbe Akiva).

Apostates and Kofrim have always turned their venom towards their Jewish brethren and stirred up hatred within the gentile population. There's nothing new here.

Anybody with a whit of common sense knows that there are two sides to every divorce. So don't eat your heart out.

True, there are husbands who withhold gets for no reason, but that's a result of their controlling personalities and certainly is not a problem with the system.

I feel sorry for those who married jerks, both men and women.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 11-13-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM

This maybe a stupid question, so here goes:

I know when a Jewish couple gets married, they get a "get". What exactly is it~? How is it different than the marriage papers (whatever it is) that you get here~?? Also, do all branches of Judaism issue "gets"~?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
This maybe a stupid question, so here goes:

I know when a Jewish couple gets married, they get a "get". What exactly is it~? How is it different than the marriage papers (whatever it is) that you get here~?? Also, do all branches of Judaism issue "gets"~?
You have your terms mixed up. When they get married, they sign a kesuba. When they get divorced, they sign a get. :-)

As best I can tell, all branches of Judaism sign the kesuba, although I've never once in my life seen a kosher kesuba at a reform/conservative marriage. Again as far as I know, only the Orthodox and possibly the rare conservative couple sign a get when getting divorced.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You have your terms mixed up. When they get married, they sign a kesuba. When they get divorced, they sign a get. :-)

As best I can tell, all branches of Judaism sign the kesuba, although I've never once in my life seen a kosher kesuba at a reform/conservative marriage. Again as far as I know, only the Orthodox and possibly the rare conservative couple sign a get when getting divorced.
What do you mean by "kosher kesuba"~? It's a paper right, so why does the paper need to be kosher~?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

I have a solution. If the guarders of the Torah (Observant Jews) are doing such a "lousy job" of guarding the Torah (which our fellow posters have tried to make clear with all these threads about how terrible Orthodox Jews are), how about our non Observant Jewish friends join us in this important duty and help us out? Stop trying to throw out the baby with the bath water, and help us improve the water. You can all start by stopping spreading all this hatred and lashen hara against our fellow Jews with hateful threads like this one. Join a Torah class. Light candles on Friday night. Davening in a proper minyan during the week. You can do this. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism