U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 AM

1,382 posts, read 494,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
All of thems a haul...I'm down there in Fayetteville...
chopstixusa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,385,836 times
Quote:
All of thems a haul...I'm down there in Fayetteville...
Then you'll have to make it at home. The closest your going to get is kosher Empire chicken at the Harris Teeter on Raeford Road.

Say hello to Rabbi Eichenholtz for me.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Then you'll have to make it at home. The closest your going to get is kosher Empire chicken at the Harris Teeter on Raeford Road.

Say hello to Rabbi Eichenholtz for me.
You know Fayette-Nam?...

Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Thanks...

Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,385,836 times
Quote:
You know Fayette-Nam?...
I'm a native. We left this summer and moved to New York.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:51 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,194,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In neither religion can we recognize it being a holiday. That being said, if we are greeted in a salutation in regards to the holiday we need to respond in a common courteous response that does not recognize their holiday but is an accepted salutation for that area (for you I think its an-nisa 4:86).

But on your comment I hit a strange situation today. I was shopping in a place out of town known to sell hallal goods. Upon finishing the payment at the register the person said "Have a Merry Xmas". It was not an expected salutation. So I responded with, in Arabic, "May the coming year find you in good health". The cashier nearly fell back as they understood the response as I left the store (I know the owners, so I just need to think about telling them about it or simply let it go to hope the cashier learned not to judge people on how they look)

I decided to put in a link so others would understand what I stated to Woodrow:
Surat An-Nisa' [4:86] - The Noble Qur'an - ?????? ??????
Why can't a Jew or Muslim acknowledge another person's religious holiday? That's like saying that my Christian friends cannot wish me an easy fast on Yom Kippur or acknowledge Rosh Hashanah by wishing me a happy New Year? What is wrong with wishing someone a Merry Christmas in December, regardless of your religious affiliation?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually there is also the holiday of Kwanzaa (Kwanzaa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)!
A "holiday" created by a felon who was in prison for kidnapping, rape and torture of two women. I acknowledge Kwanzaa as a "holiday" to the same extent I would acknowledge Festivus.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Kwanzaa is mentioned every year on TV in NYC and there are Kwanzaa celebrations in NYC every year.

Do they celebrate by pouring bleach down the throat of women and burning them with soldering irons? I mean, that was what the creator of the "holiday" was doing time for when he came up with Kwanzaa.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I thought people (even when Christians communicating with other Christians) say "Happy Holidays" because they are wishing "Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years" at the same time?
Growing up in the South, I only heard Merry Christmas and Happy New Year exchanged among Christians. The generic "Happy Holidays" is a creation of the recent past when the PC police found it necessary to equate Chanukah, Christmas and Kwanzaa as equal events and thus was born the "one-size-fits-all" greeting of "Happy Holidays." I have never in my life wished anyone "Happy Holidays," in lieu of "Happy Thanksgiving." That seems a real stretch in my book.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 AM

12,014 posts, read 16,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Growing up in the South, I only heard Merry Christmas and Happy New Year exchanged among Christians. The generic "Happy Holidays" is a creation of the recent past when the PC police found it necessary to equate Chanukah, Christmas and Kwanzaa as equal events and thus was born the "one-size-fits-all" greeting of "Happy Holidays." I have never in my life wished anyone "Happy Holidays," in lieu of "Happy Thanksgiving." That seems a real stretch in my book.
I have always wished people Happy Holidays, which I learned growing up in the South (even though my family were often the only non-Christians other families had met).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism