Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I thought people (even when Christians communicating with other Christians) say "Happy Holidays" because they are wishing "Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years" at the same time?
But once TG has passed and if you're not a Christian then what do you say ? Christians start the day at midnight (hence midnight mass) thus New years is in 2014 which is a different year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Forgive me for being obtuse. What's so wrong with wishing a Chrstian "Merry Chrstmas?"

Take one look at me, and it's pretty clear I hold no stock in yushke as anything other than a dead Yid.
Sometimes I just love theflipflop. You get a rep point.

As you know, I am Christian, and I found this hilarious.

I'm going to tell people at church that line on Sunday. Thanks. I believe "Yushke" had a great sense of humor while on earth that often gets lost in too much solemnity.

On the serious side, a few years ago in our regional paper (North Jersey), a rabbi did a nice Op-Ed on the subject. He said he takes his children into Manhattan to see the Fifth Avenue store windows every year. He felt that his family was strong enough and secure enough in their Jewish identity that they could look from the outside at the Christian traditions and celebrations at this time of year without participating in them in any way but as part of the culture in which they live. I wish I had saved it. It was very well written.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Not so! What about the New Year, Yule, Kwanzaa, Pancha Ganapati (Hindu), Bodhi Day (Buddhist), Yalda (Persians) and, most importantly, my birthday? :P Even in Christianity, there is more than just Christmas. In my opinion, some of the most interesting Christian celebrations are Saint's days, especially Saint Lucia's Day which is in mid-December.

Ever since I beat cancer, I've fallen in the camp of life is too short to not celebrate everyone's humanity. As part of that, I've enjoyed lots of different cultural celebrations - even religious ones (though of course only looking at it from the cultural side). Throughout the holiday season, I enjoy the lights, watch holiday movies (Love, Actually and Meet Me in St. Louis are essential), participate in my alma mater's traditional Messiah Sing, and this Christmas will be spending the day with my boyfriend's ex-Catholic priest grandfather for his celebrations. Then we'll go for Chinese food.
Good girl! And when is your birthday so we can all celebrate?

I like Holy Innocents Day, which is December 28 in the traditional liturgical calendar. It technically commemorates the story that Herod sent out soldiers to slaughter all the male children under 2 years of age in hopes of killing the "newborn king" he'd heard about. Although there is no historical evidence that this event actually occurred, for non-fundamentalists Christians, it is a day to remember innocent victims and people who have suffered because of injustice.

Receive, we pray, into the arms of your mercy all innocent victims; and by your great might frustrate the designs of evil tyrants and establish your rule of justice, love and peace...(Book of Common Prayer)

Old 12-06-2013, 01:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry CHRISTmas View Post
You know that X for Xmas stands for 'Christ' in Greek ?
I as a former Jew, now a Christian remember using Xmas too.
Well I could use the Yiddish term Kratsmere, but then I'd have to explain it to others on C-D.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But once TG has passed and if you're not a Christian then what do you say ? Christians start the day at midnight (hence midnight mass) thus New years is in 2014 which is a different year.
If someone said to me "Merry Christmas" I just say "Merry Christmas" back

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good girl! And when is your birthday so we can all celebrate?

I like Holy Innocents Day, which is December 28 in the traditional liturgical calendar. It technically commemorates the story that Herod sent out soldiers to slaughter all the male children under 2 years of age in hopes of killing the "newborn king" he'd heard about. Although there is no historical evidence that this event actually occurred, for non-fundamentalists Christians, it is a day to remember innocent victims and people who have suffered because of injustice.

Receive, we pray, into the arms of your mercy all innocent victims; and by your great might frustrate the designs of evil tyrants and establish your rule of justice, love and peace...(Book of Common Prayer)
You also might want to add Boxing Day (which the day after Christmas) which is a legal holiday in Great Britain and Australia (and perhaps even Canada?).

Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You also might want to add Boxing Day (which the day after Christmas) which is a legal holiday in Great Britain and Australia (and perhaps even Canada?).
Yeah, wonder why we never adopted that one?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, wonder why we never adopted that one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude 80 View Post
^ Most European and Western countries has Dec 26 (Day after Christmas) as national holiday (called Boxing Day / St. Stephen's Day or Second day of Christmas)

America must always be different which kind of sucks...
Many countries also celebrate Easter Monday which is not observed in the USA either.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude 80 View Post
There are many things America has not adopted yet like other western countries, such as the metric system, mandate paid leave of absence, etc.
In the Sixties, in elementary school, we were told that we'd soon be switching to the metric system. About 15 - 20 years later, they changed soda bottles to liters. That was about it.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I get a little tired of the constant "Merry Christmas" from people, but I don't have a neon sign over my head that flashes "JEW JEW JEW" either.

So when people tell me "Merry Christmas" I say back "Happy Holidays to you" or if it's actually Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, I will say "Merry Christmas" to them.

On Christmas a lot of Jewish people in DFW go to the movies and/or out for Chinese food. It's wonderful, though it's not quite as fun as it used to be because the gentiles have figured it out and a lot of them go out on Christmas Day now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism