U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,065,557 times

Advertisements

What do you all do during this holiday season when others are spending it in other ways~? Here we have "no where to go events for Christmas". Like the JCC has a brunch and another place has a Chinese Dinner and a movie event planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 AM

21,395 posts, read 24,247,732 times
The holiday season is not overwhelming in my town. Town is very conservative in signage, lighting and music. Townspeople are friendly all year around so the only deviation we hear is "Happy Holidays" in addition to normal salutations. Even in our local paper, the ads are conservative and the articles tend to be focused on charity. Most of my neighbors treat TG as the family time rather than xmas or New Years. As to the more Jewish areas, the JCC doesn't really advertise much of anything while Chabad drives around with a Menorah on top of a car and advertises events.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The holiday season is not overwhelming in my town. Town is very conservative in signage, lighting and music. Townspeople are friendly all year around so the only deviation we hear is "Happy Holidays" in addition to normal salutations. Even in our local paper, the ads are conservative and the articles tend to be focused on charity. Most of my neighbors treat TG as the family time rather than xmas or New Years. As to the more Jewish areas, the JCC doesn't really advertise much of anything while Chabad drives around with a Menorah on top of a car and advertises events.

Oh here too, the Chabad drive around with a Menorah on top of their cars

Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,360,597 times
Just butting in as this is a topic of interest for Muslims also.

I think the best way is just handle things without any concern. If it is of no concern to us what color our neighbors paint their house, why should it concern us about how they choose to decorate it?

No need to celebrate if we see nothing to celebrate. Greet the inevitable Holiday greetings with just a simple "I wish for you what you wish for me." or a simple "May you receive all you deserve"

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
No need to celebrate if we see nothing to celebrate. Greet the inevitable Holiday greetings with just a simple "I wish for you what you wish for me." or a simple "May you receive all you deserve"
In neither religion can we recognize it being a holiday. That being said, if we are greeted in a salutation in regards to the holiday we need to respond in a common courteous response that does not recognize their holiday but is an accepted salutation for that area (for you I think its an-nisa 4:86).

But on your comment I hit a strange situation today. I was shopping in a place out of town known to sell hallal goods. Upon finishing the payment at the register the person said "Have a Merry Xmas". It was not an expected salutation. So I responded with, in Arabic, "May the coming year find you in good health". The cashier nearly fell back as they understood the response as I left the store (I know the owners, so I just need to think about telling them about it or simply let it go to hope the cashier learned not to judge people on how they look)

I decided to put in a link so others would understand what I stated to Woodrow:
Surat An-Nisa' [4:86] - The Noble Qur'an - ?????? ??????

Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,360,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In neither religion can we recognize it being a holiday. That being said, if we are greeted in a salutation in regards to the holiday we need to respond in a common courteous response that does not recognize their holiday but is an accepted salutation for that area (for you I think its an-nisa 4:86).

But on your comment I hit a strange situation today. I was shopping in a place out of town known to sell hallal goods. Upon finishing the payment at the register the person said "Have a Merry Xmas". It was not an expected salutation. So I responded with, in Arabic, "May the coming year find you in good health". The cashier nearly fell back as they understood the response as I left the store (I know the owners, so I just need to think about telling them about it or simply let it go to hope the cashier learned not to judge people on how they look)

I decided to put in a link so others would understand what I stated to Woodrow:
Surat An-Nisa' [4:86] - The Noble Qur'an - ?????? ??????
Good points.

Although in Islam you will find a difference of opinion regarding Jewish Holidays. As Jews are fully monotheistic the Jewish Holidays are not necessarily out of line for Muslims.

When I lived in austin the Housing complex was approximately half Jews and half Muslims. Needless to say friendships did develop and we did try to work out ways we could share holidays with each other without infringing on each others beliefs.

We ended up agreeing to avoid holiday greetings but greet each other amicably and if we desired leave girts anonymously.

Personal opinion as we both are Monotheistic I think to some degree our holidays can be mutually acceptable.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Just butting in as this is a topic of interest for Muslims also.

I think the best way is just handle things without any concern. If it is of no concern to us what color our neighbors paint their house, why should it concern us about how they choose to decorate it?

Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Good points.

Although in Islam you will find a difference of opinion regarding Jewish Holidays. As Jews are fully monotheistic the Jewish Holidays are not necessarily out of line for Muslims.

When I lived in austin the Housing complex was approximately half Jews and half Muslims. Needless to say friendships did develop and we did try to work out ways we could share holidays with each other without infringing on each others beliefs.

We ended up agreeing to avoid holiday greetings but greet each other amicably and if we desired leave girts anonymously.

Personal opinion as we both are Monotheistic I think to some degree our holidays can be mutually acceptable.
The only salutations that both would understand w/o translation is Shalom & Salam and not explain to either the roots of the words (as that would require a thread of its own and a problem of where to stick it).

Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM

This is turning into an interesting topic I know a lot of people don't like the words, "Happy Holidays", but when you don't know one's beliefs (or even if they don't believe in anything such as the atheist and agnostic), it seems appropriate to greet them "Happy Holiday" so you cover all grounds. Do you all agree~?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
This is turning into an interesting topic I know a lot of people don't like the words, "Happy Holidays", but when you don't know one's beliefs (or even if they don't believe in anything such as the atheist and agnostic), it seems appropriate to greet them "Happy Holiday" so you cover all grounds. Do you all agree~?
Once Hanukah is over saying "Happy Holiday" refers to only one holiday. That holiday is the recognition of Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism