U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,175,832 times

Advertisements

Today, Friday the 13th, is the 10th day of the Jewish month of Tevet. On this day in the year 3336 from Creation (425 BCE), the armies of the Babylonian emperor Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to the city of Jerusalem. Almost two years later on 9 Av, the Holy Temple was destroyed.
The 10th of Tevet is observed as a day of fasting, mourning and repentance. We refrain from food and drink from daybreak, 5:53am, and add selichot and other special supplements to our prayers. The fast ends at 5:22pm. Recite the Friday night Kiddush, then break your fast.
More recently, 10 Tevet was chosen to also serve as a “general kaddish day” for the victims of the Holocaust, many of whose day of martyrdom is unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,351,581 times
I hope you are all having an easy fast (those of you who are fasting today).

It's very unusual to fast on a Friday leading into Shabbos. I believe this is the only one of the 7 times a year we fast each year that can fall on a Friday. Yom Kippur cannot fall on a Friday, and all the other fasts are pushed off (called a neidche) to a later date if they would fall on Friday. The fact that this fast is not pushed off is a clue to how important this fast is for us Jews.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,351,581 times
By the way, I'm fighting the urge to skip davening tonight and make Kiddush at home, so I can break my fast an hour earlier than if I go to shul. It's a funny predicament tonight. My shul brings in Shabbos early, at 5pm. The fast ends fairly soon after that, but it's forbidden to end the fast until you've made Kiddush. But I'll already be in shul when I can make Kiddush. Of course, this is the shortest fast of the year, so gutting out the extra hour shouldn't be so tough.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
On this day in the year 3336 from Creation (425 BCE), the armies of the Babylonian emperor Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to the city of Jerusalem.
I thought that happened around 600 BC.

http://www.bible-history.com/map_bab...jerusalem.html

Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,175,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Biblical timelines are not perfect and neither am I.

Tenth of Tevet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 10th of Tevet is what is important and the multiple items through history that it represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or