U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,435,631 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to take a trip to Chicago. I'd love to visit an Orthodox synagogue on Shabbat. Is this allowable? Would I make others uncomfortable? I obviously won't look like I grew up Orthodox as I will have that clueless look. I will walk to the service. I know there are separate entrances and I think I know how to dress. I think there is a prohibition against praying with non-Jews, though, and since I converted via Conservative, I might put them in a quandry.

I might call the Rabbi ahead of time and ask if I can visit.

Hope you all are well,

Chana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,350,047 times
I would be quite sure if you call the Rav in advance, he'll be happy to have you attend. Just be honest with him and let him know that you understand the difficulty with your current conversion, but that you are sincere in your interest in Yiddishkite. It should be his pleasure to have such a sincere person want to daven in his shul.

FYI, if you're going to be in Skokie, which holds Chicago's largest and most numerous Orthodox shuls, most of those shuls are Modern Orthodox, and they're really not so intimidating.

I'm so glad for you that you're going to get this experience. There's absolutely no prohibition for those people to daven with you. There's a strong likelihood there will be non Jews going thru geirus programs at each of these shuls. They'll be easy to spot - they're the ones with the greatest kavana (spiritual intensity) showing on their faces. They'll be the ones who refuse to shmooze during davening. In fact, you can ask the Rav to have the Rebbitzen point them out to you. I would suspect you'll find this to be a very positive and uplifting experience.

If you want to PM me which shul you plan to attend, I know lots of folks originally from Chicago and I can help you get the low down on what to expect. Enjoy!

Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much, TFF! I'll definitely take you up on your offer and PM you closer to the date. I appreciate your kindness and the information. I'm really excited about it.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,709,283 times
My rabbi told me to make sure to stop by these places in Skokie when I went to Chicago:

Ken’s Diner
Ken's Diner & Grill - Skokie, IL

Hungarian Grocery Store
Hungarian Kosher Foods - Skokie, IL

I went to both and they were absolutely worth a visit.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Thank you!!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,350,047 times
I once ate at a Pizza shop in Skokie. It was hands down the best kosher pizza I've ever eaten. I wish I could remember the name. I recall it was a dairy restaurant on the left side and a meat restaurant on the right side, but all under one roof.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,709,283 times
I'm assuming it was EJ's

EJ's Pizzeria - Skokie, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or