U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Personally, I found this quite depressing. I was sad to learn that Jews also have been infiltrated by the creationist nutjobs just like christian fundies.
Hyperion, I have a question for you.

Do you believe that you are just an animal with no more "soul" or "divine spirit" than an earthworm or an ant?

If you answer Yes, then I can understand how it is easy for you to accept that creatures like you evolved from other life forms.

If, like many Theists, you answer No, then you must believe humans are pretty special, and it must be extremely hard to believe that your direct ancestor was fish-like. However, I would not call you a "creationist nutjob".

Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM

864 posts, read 733,607 times
Quote:
Hyperion, I have a question for you.

Do you believe that you are just an animal with no more "soul" or "divine spirit" than an earthworm or an ant?

If you answer Yes, then I can understand how it is easy for you to accept that creatures like you evolved from other life forms.

If, like many Theists, you answer No, then you must believe humans are pretty special, and it must be extremely hard to believe that your direct ancestor was fish-like. However, I would not call you a "creationist nutjob".
That's one way of putting it, but not from a Torah perspective because the earthworm, ant, and man are all creations of G-d. So what exactly is the difference, and why did G-d create each of them? But that's another topic altogether.

Here's a question: If you believe in evolution, tell me how "love" in all its forms evolved from a/an ________ (choose your favorite ancestor)--love for a friend, for a child, for a spouse, to parents, to siblings, grandparents, extended family etc.

Frankly, it's easier to believe in a virgin birth than in evolution and its carbon dating, radioactive nonesense. (iwishiwerethin does not believe in virgin births.)

Sorry, TFF, back to you.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Here's a question: If you believe in evolution, tell me how "love" in all its forms evolved
I believe that some of my primate ancestors joined together into tribes to help them survive. The tribes with members who liked each other and cooperated were more successful, and they passed those traits on to their descendants.

That's how I believe evolution works. Traits that help us survive and have children that survive are passed on to our children. Having respect and fondness for other people in our tribe is one of those beneficial traits.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I believe that some of my primate ancestors joined together into tribes to help them survive. The tribes with members who liked each other and cooperated were more successful, and they passed those traits on to their descendants.
Quote:
Having respect and fondness for other people in our tribe is one of those beneficial traits.
Doesn't explain the distinctive types of "respect and fondness" that thrives within the heart of one human being.

Why won't an evolutionist EVER admit he doesn't know the answer?

How come there aren't any primate/humans walking the earth? We have humans in all stages of development, primates in all stages of development, but no primate/human combos in any stage of evolution. Why is that?

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 12-28-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,341,414 times
I'm not sure how this fits in to this part of this discussion. But my younger brother is an OBGYN who has spent his career in academics. He's about as secular as they come, although a really good guy. He is not involved with organized religion in any way shape or form.

With regards to childbirth, he's spent two decades in this field, and readily admits science cannot explain how a baby gestates. He says there is no science to explain why two foreign cells merge, then split, then keep on splitting all the same while growing. Eventually, a brain and heart begin to form. Yes, out of some cells. Then arms and legs form. Within just a couple of months, it is already looking like a human being.

My brother is zero percent religious and is a scientist to his core, and yet the only explanation he can give me, is that it is G-d who pulls the strings on this.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Why won't an evolutionist EVER admit he doesn't know the answer?
As a lifelong Atheist, I believe that everything we see in the Universe around us is the result of natural forces at work. I believe everything I see has a reasonable explanation. Evolution makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
How come there aren't any primate/humans walking the earth? We have humans in all stages of development, primates in all stages of development, but no primate/human combos in any stage of evolution. Why is that?
Because we killed them off. We primates are very good at destroying other species that compete with us for the natural resources we want.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:07 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,341,414 times
I find it amusing how Athiests hungar for proof of how the world works around them. All the while, we Thiests are comfortable with the fact that there is an explanation for everything, and that does not conflict with our view of the world.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Because we killed them off. We primates are very good at destroying other species that compete with us for the natural resources we want.
What did primates evolve from? Sorry, but this makes no sense. Why did your ancestral primates only kill of the evolving primates, not the full human ones which were REAL competition? Were there Chinese primates, African primates, Norwegian ones, Middle Eastern primates? How did they group up and move to one area?

How did your ancestors differ from primates today who don't look like they have any intention of evolving further?

Do you really believe this stuff?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
How did your ancestors differ from primates today who don't look like they have any intention of evolving further?
It all depends how far back I go. I have a picture of my great-great-grandmother and she looks like a modern human. I believe my ancestor who lived 3 million years ago probably looked like a chimpanzee.

Quote:
Do you really believe this stuff?
Oh Yes. I believe every living creature that practices sexual reproduction is my cousin. I have a special fondness for crustaceans.

Quote:
(slapping forehead is disbelief how I got suckered into a debate about evolution)
Yeah, I feel the same way. I usually avoid the evolution arguments and just got involved here because I didn't like the one poster using the phrase "creationist nutjob".

Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I find it amusing how Athiests hunger for proof of how the world works around them.
That certainly describes me, especially since I retired.

I loved Bill Bryson's book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and the TV series "How the Earth Was Made". The series about the "Barbarians" helped me better understand how my European ancestors interacted with the Romans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism