U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM

864 posts, read 733,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe my ancestor who lived 3 million years ago probably looked like a chimpanzee.
Did this ancestor change into a human or did it reproduce to 90% human then 80% human and so on? Tell us how you know this, please.

How does your belief differ from a belief in a virgin birth?

Quote:
eah, I feel the same way. I usually avoid the evolution arguments and just got involved here because I didn't like the one poster using the phrase "creationist nutjob".
I think deep down you do believe in the Creator, but are afraid to admit it.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Did this ancestor change into a human or did it reproduce to 90% human then 80% human and so on?
When my ancestor mated with another creature, they created a child that did not have the exact genetic code of either parent. Over enough generations, a creature was created with a genetic code that qualified as human.

In other words, two non-human creatures mated and created a human child.

Quote:
Tell us how you know this, please.
Of course, I do not know it for certain. It is what I believe.

Quote:
How does your belief differ from a belief in a virgin birth?
Interesting question. I don't know if a virgin birth can happen, but maybe it is possible. Life on Earth has some amazing ways to survive.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
So why isn't it still happening?

Quote:
Of course, I do not know it for certain. It is what I believe.
Thank you. If you're an atheist, at least you're an honest one.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:32 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Quote:
So why isn't it still happening?

Maybe it is still happening.

I am not a biologist and I do not know the exact genetic code it takes to be considered a human. There are a lot of different-looking creatures that we call human.

Maybe there are some non-human living primates that are very close to humans, and it is possible two of them could mate and create a creature that is genetically human.

Iwish, I am happy to answer your very good questions, even if that was not the original purpose of this thread.

A lot of people come to this forum to ask questions about Judaism, so you might find it entertaining to go to the Atheist forum and ask people some of your very pointed questions about evolution. You might be surprised to learn what some Atheists believe, just like we come to this forum and are surprised to find what some Jews believe.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
A lot of people come to this forum to ask questions about Judaism, so you might find it entertaining to go to the Atheist forum and ask people some of your very pointed questions about evolution. You might be surprised to learn what some Atheists believe, just like we come to this forum and are surprised to find what some Jews believe.
Honestly, what atheists believe interests me just as much as the christian bible and the Kuran, and you know how much those interest me.

The only difference is that atheists are still in the process of making things up, while Christians and Muslims are more or less finished with their ideology and now have only to explain their mistakes.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:17 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times
Quote:
Honestly, what atheists believe interests me just as much as the christian bible and the Kuran, and you know how much those interest me.

The only difference is that atheists are still in the process of making things up, while Christians and Muslims are more or less finished with their ideology and now have only to explain their mistakes.
So why all the questions?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So why all the questions?
I enjoy debating, and to tickle your mind. Have you ever thought there might be something fundamentally wrong with evolution?

I enjoy being asked pointed questions.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Hyperion, I have a question for you.

Do you believe that you are just an animal with no more "soul" or "divine spirit" than an earthworm or an ant?

If you answer Yes, then I can understand how it is easy for you to accept that creatures like you evolved from other life forms.

If, like many Theists, you answer No, then you must believe humans are pretty special, and it must be extremely hard to believe that your direct ancestor was fish-like. However, I would not call you a "creationist nutjob".
Yes.

Quote:
I enjoy debating, and to tickle your mind. Have you ever thought there might be something fundamentally wrong with evolution?

I enjoy being asked pointed questions.
I see. Well no, I have not ever thought there might be something fundamentally wrong with evolution; only fundamentalists. I even once asked my girl friend (a neurology resident) if there was something clinically/psychologically wrong with people that believe in creationism. She told me that because most are brought up believing such things as a child while they are impressionable, it's not considered a disorder. I will have to ask her what the case would be for adults that start to believe it while fully cognizant.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yes.

I see. Well no, I have not ever thought there might be something fundamentally wrong with evolution; only fundamentalists. I even once asked my girl friend (a neurology resident) if there was something clinically/psychologically wrong with people that believe in creationism. She told me that because most are brought up believing such things as a child while they are impressionable, it's not considered a disorder. I will have to ask her what the case would be for adults that start to believe it while fully cognizant.
Like me. I was taught evolution in the public schools as a child, and it never occurred to me to question it. Can you ask her what disorder that might be that allowed me to accept such concepts without question?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
even once asked my girl friend (a neurology resident)
Can you ask her to explain to you how the human brain evolved from a/an _______ (add your favorite evolutionary ancestor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism