U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,734,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Can you ask her to explain to you how the human brain evolved from a/an _______ (add your favorite evolutionary ancestor).
Sure, when you ask god to explain how he created the universe. You don't even understand radioactive decay. Any answer I tell you isn't going to even make sense.
While you're at it, please explain vestigial organs, location differentiation, chromosome 2, ERV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Like me. I was taught evolution in the public schools as a child, and it never occurred to me to question it. Can you ask her what disorder that might be that allowed me to accept such concepts without question?
Was probably severe depression that necessitated you to find an escape in religion. But I'll ask her.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:44 PM

3,994 posts, read 3,373,451 times
And there we have it. You accuse me of having a disorder for believing in creationism. I joked that you must have a disorder for believing in evolution. You reply that I must have been sick in order to switch my belief to creation. And the world is still spinning. I submit that this topic is entirely irrelevant. We should all just shut up and focus on pleasing Hashem. I'll use the Torah as my guide. You can use MSNBC.com.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM

864 posts, read 738,024 times
Quote:
You don't even understand radioactive decay.
Do you?
Quote:
Any answer I tell you isn't going to even make sense.
Thank you.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Yes, I do understand radioactive decay.

Should have read "they won't make sense (to you)".

You didn't answer my questions, though. Your answers won't make sense either (to me).

Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 PM

864 posts, read 738,024 times
So your neurologist friend cannot tell you how the human brain evolved. Why are you throwing a hissy fit?

Quote:
Should have read "they won't make sense (to you)".
You can't explain it, can you?

Quote:
You didn't answer my questions, though. Your answers won't make sense either (to me).
Repeat your question, please, as I don't see one in your posting. Questions should be Judaism related.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 12-30-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
So your neurologist friend cannot tell you how the human brain evolved. Why are you throwing a hissy fit?
Who's throwing a hissy fit? Can't say I saw many capital letters and exclamation points coming from my posts, but whatever floats your boat.

Regardless, you are aware that a neurologist is neither a biologist nor an anthropologist, right? You probably haven't learned much about this since it's basically anathema to your religious extremism, but those are quite different fields. The brain evolved just like any other piece of the body; slowly over thousands of years in order to become more equipped to do a specific task. If you would like to learn more here are several websites that you might find, shall we say, enlightening.

How Has the Human Brain Evolved?: Scientific American
Brain evolution
http://archives.evergreen.edu/webpag..._Anthrop_6.pdf
Metabolic costs of brain size evolution

Quote:
You can't explain it, can you?
Didn't realize this was so complicated. Radioactive decay is the process when the nucleus of an unstable isotope of an atom (i.e. Carbon 14 for carbon dating) loses energy by emitting particles (in this case alpha particles i.e. protons) to return to a more stable state.

Quote:
Repeat your question, please, as I don't see one in your posting. Questions should be Judaism related.
How do ultra orthodox Jews believe god exactly created the universe/world/etc (from nothingness obviously)? Related, where did god come from?

Why do ultra orthodox Jews believe that vestigial organs exist?

Do ultra orthodox Jews believe that endogenous retroviruses are currently evolving?

How do ultra orthodox Jews explain the cause of physiological differentiation?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And there we have it. You accuse me of having a disorder for believing in creationism. I joked that you must have a disorder for believing in evolution. You reply that I must have been sick in order to switch my belief to creation. And the world is still spinning. I submit that this topic is entirely irrelevant. We should all just shut up and focus on pleasing Hashem. I'll use the Torah as my guide. You can use MSNBC.com.
You're in luck. Unlike believing in UFO's snatching people from their beds at night (which would be considered delusional), my girl friend has informed me that changing ones belief to creationism would not be considered a psychiatric disorder due to the fact that it is accepted as part of your cultural norms in the society you live in (Ultra orthodox Judaism).

Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You're in luck. Unlike believing in UFO's snatching people from their beds at night (which would be considered delusional), my girl friend has informed me that changing ones belief to creationism would not be considered a psychiatric disorder due to the fact that it is accepted as part of your cultural norms in the society you live in (Ultra orthodox Judaism).
Yes! I knew I wasn't crazy. And I know you're not crazy for your beliefs either. Most Jews with an aversion to following G-d's commandments have a perfectly good reason to disobey G-d.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Oh, and by the way, I recall you said you were Jewish, so that means creationism is your cultural norm, too. Hmmm, if you are not following your own cultural norm, does that mean you are crazy after all? Back to the girlfriend with more questions. I'll patiently await her psak.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM

I don't know what the breakdown is for believing in creationism vs evolution among reform jews is but I would assume well over 25% believe in evolution so I'm probably safe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism