U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,340,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I don't know what the breakdown is for believing in creationism vs evolution among reform jews is but I would assume well over 25% believe in evolution so I'm probably safe too.
I would guess 75% of Reform Jews or more believe in evolution. But Reform Judaism is WAY outside of Jewish cultural norms. Your movement is progressive beyond all recognition.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,699,941 times
Considering reform is the largest movement, I don't quite see how it's WAY outside of Jewish cultural norms. Maybe ultraorthodox is way outside of "Jewish" cultural norms since it is significantly smaller than both conservative or reform?

Also, in case there is any confusion, per wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(social)
Sociologists describe norms as informal understandings that govern society’s behaviors, while psychologists have adopted a more general definition, recognizing smaller group units, like a team or an office, may also endorse norms separate or in addition to cultural or societal expectations.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 01-01-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM

864 posts, read 733,525 times
Quote:
Considering reform is the largest movement, I don't quite see how it's WAY outside of Jewish cultural norms. Maybe ultraorthodox is way outside of "Jewish" cultural norms since it is significantly smaller than both conservative or reform?
The same way Christianity is way outside of Jewish cultural norms.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 PM

You should get cracking on those questions I asked you before you say something awkward like reform jews are christians.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
You should get cracking on those questions I asked you before you say something awkward like reform jews are christians.
I said IF SIZE IS YOUR INDICATOR OF CULTURAL NORMALS, CHRISTIANS OUTNUMBER REFORM JEWS BY MILLIONS.

You see, to me the amount of people who believe something has no bearing on the what the truth is. Billions of people can be wrong and one person can be right (Father Abraham).

I only answer Judaic related questions. So far I haven't seen any.

This is what orthodox Jews believe, and what all Jews SHOULD believe:

1. Belief in the existence of the Creator, who is perfect in every manner of existence and is the Primary Cause of all that exists.
2. The belief in G-d's absolute and unparalleled unity.
3. The belief in G-d's non-corporeality, nor that He will be affected by any physical occurrences, such as movement, or rest, or dwelling.
4. The belief in G-d's eternity.
5. The imperative to worship G-d exclusively and no foreign false gods.
6. The belief that G-d communicates with man through prophecy.
7. The belief in the primacy of the prophecy of Moses our teacher.
8. The belief in the divine origin of the Torah.
9. The belief in the immutability of the Torah.
10. The belief in G-d's omniscience and providence.
11. The belief in divine reward and retribution.
12. The belief in the arrival of the Messiah and the messianic era.
13. The belief in the resurrection of the dead

Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The belief in the resurrection of the dead
Before you will be resurrected, do you believe you or your spirit will go to a heaven of some sort, or will your body just lie in the ground waiting to be pulled out?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Before you will be resurrected, do you believe you or your spirit will go to a heaven of some sort, or will your body just lie in the ground waiting to be pulled out?
Resurrection will occur after the Messiah has come.

Man has a soul, not a spirit. At death the soul departs from the body, and is judged for all its deeds (see #11). The body is buried and lies underground until resurrection.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I said IF SIZE IS YOUR INDICATOR OF CULTURAL NORMALS, CHRISTIANS OUTNUMBER REFORM JEWS BY MILLIONS.

You see, to me the amount of people who believe something has no bearing on the what the truth is. Billions of people can be wrong and one person can be right (Father Abraham).

I only answer Judaic related questions. So far I haven't seen any.
Now now, don't throw a hissy fit.

Guess those questions were too hard for you to answer? Looks like evolution wins the day again.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times
Quote:
At death the soul departs from the body, and is judged for all its deeds (see #11). The body is buried and lies underground until resurrection.
If the soul is judged to be good, does it then go to a heaven until the body is resurrected?

If the soul is judged to be totally wicked and evil, is the body still resurrected?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
If the soul is judged to be good, does it then go to a heaven until the body is resurrected?
The soul accounts for ever single deed or misdeed.

Quote:
If the soul is judged to be totally wicked and evil, is the body still resurrected?
No. Only the righteous will be resurrected. The body and soul are business partners, so to speak. It's the soul that's the essence of the person, and the body is just its vessel providing the circumstances under which the soul can exercise its choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism