U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,120,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
anytime honest dialogue is attempted someone decides to bash those who think differently.
Isn't that true of every message board, especially the ones where serious ideas are discussed?

Besides, it is good to see people disagree. I have never learned anything from people who agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM

864 posts, read 734,724 times
I'm sorry for bickering in your thread, JB.
'Tis the season for apologies
PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies - Washington Times

Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,393,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Umm, not so much.

I hope all is well with you, JB. Sorry if I upset you in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I'm sorry for bickering in your thread, JB.
'Tis the season for apologies
PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies - Washington Times
I owe you both an apology. I lost my temper, and I shouldn't have.
But the animosity that exists in our section of CD does irritate the hell out of me.

Back on topic, I do think Judaism in America would be healthier if we didn't have the modern movements. I'm quite familiar with the history, and I don't think the Enlightenment was a bad thing or the root cause for the fracturing of European Jews. The Sephardim went through their own Enlightenment centuries earlier, and thrived because of it.

Soon after I first got here I told TFF that I thought one day we would see a single stream of Judaism in the US, and that it would likely resemble modern orthodoxy. And I still stand by that. As an outsdier, I see a lot that I like in the Sephardic traditions, but that could just be a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:47 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,350,858 times
Quote:
I owe you both an apology. I lost my temper, and I shouldn't have.
But the animosity that exists in our section of CD does irritate the hell out of me.

Back on topic, I do think Judaism in America would be healthier if we didn't have the modern movements. I'm quite familiar with the history, and I don't think the Enlightenment was a bad thing or the root cause for the fracturing of European Jews. The Sephardim went through their own Enlightenment centuries earlier, and thrived because of it.

Soon after I first got here I told TFF that I thought one day we would see a single stream of Judaism in the US, and that it would likely resemble modern orthodoxy. And I still stand by that. As an outsdier, I see a lot that I like in the Sephardic traditions, but that could just be a case of the grass being greener on the other side.
You know what JB, in my town there are both orthodox Ashkenazi and Orhtodox Sephardi shuls, and there's a half decent mix of Sephardim davening in Ashkenazi shuls, and vice versa. I know in my shul, the 5-10% of members who are Sephardim and the the additional Ashkenazim who keep some or mostly Sephardi minhagim, well they add a lot to my shul's overall hashkafo. The lines are not clear all the time in The American Orthodox community. And that's good IMO. Oh, and apology accepted. We are good. No harm no foul.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM

864 posts, read 734,724 times
Quote:
Soon after I first got here I told TFF that I thought one day we would see a single stream of Judaism in the US, and that it would likely resemble modern orthodoxy.
According to the latest Pew study, we're headed in that direction, although it won't likely resemble modern orthodoxy. It'll be a wide spectrum from modern to ultra, with the largest concentration at ultra.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,164,875 times
Quote:
According to the latest Pew study, we're headed in that direction, although it won't likely resemble modern orthodoxy. It'll be a wide spectrum from modern to ultra, with the largest concentration at ultra.
In what country?

Link?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,164,875 times
Quote:
Per the PEW study JB is correct and you are not.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/17/eight-facts-about-orthodox-jews-from-the-pew-research-survey/

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/149510/the-problem-with-the-pew-study

Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,350,858 times
Thanks for providing those links. I read both. The first one was a very good article. The second had no credibility and is to be totally discounted.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,393,062 times
I have a question for those who might know: How do conversions performed by a Sephardic rabbi fall into the whole Ashkenazi Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm?

If they recognize everyone as equally Jewish, where do they fit into the spectrum?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 AM

32,149 posts, read 33,059,143 times
Quote:

We've had a few Israeli visitors to our synagogue recently, and I've learned quite a bit. I've always been open about being a convert, and was pretty surprised when an orthodox Israeli visitor asked me to part of a minyan so he could recite kaddish for his father. Another chided me for even mentioning that I was a convert after it came up in a discussion about family traditions. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting (and that's a good thing).
In Israel there is a problem with the acceptance of all types of conversion to Judaism. Several times the Ultra-Orthodox political parties have tried to change the "Law of Return" of Jewish immigration to Israel so that it will state that converted Jews will be accepted if they converted according to the "HALACHA" or based only by an Orthodox conversion. That would be the reason that an Israeli would suggest that you don't emphasize that you are a convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism