U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,371 posts, read 24,126,995 times
Reputation: 8869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I have a question for those who might know: How do conversions performed by a Sephardic rabbi fall into the whole Ashkenazi Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm?

Outside of the Syrian communities, none in Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm . But they do take to a whole new level in other ways.


*Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,721 posts, read 1,389,387 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Outside of the Syrian communities, none in Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm . But they do take to a whole new level in other ways.
Are you saying that they are not recognized outside of the Sephardic communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,371 posts, read 24,126,995 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Are you saying that they are not recognized outside of the Sephardic communities?
The Sephardic UO Rabbi's conversions end the same way as Ashkenazim. They just take take a different direction getting there. Give it another generation and the entire paradigm will change as the Orthodox lose their power base year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,721 posts, read 1,389,387 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Sephardic UO Rabbi's conversions end the same way as Ashkenazim. They just take take a different direction getting there. Give it another generation and the entire paradigm will change as the Orthodox lose their power base year after year.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't address my question.
You're giving me information on how the Sephardic chief rabbi in Israel views Orthodox conversions from the US, Canada, and Europe; that has nothing to do with what I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,371 posts, read 24,126,995 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm sorry, but that doesn't address my question.
You're giving me information on how the Sephardic chief rabbi in Israel views Orthodox conversions from the US, Canada, and Europe; that has nothing to do with what I asked.
As per you're quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I have a question for those who might know: How do conversions performed by a Sephardic rabbi fall into the whole Ashkenazi Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm?

If they recognize everyone as equally Jewish, where do they fit into the spectrum?
Simply stated, the same as Ashkenazim (except they still pronounce their T's and don't Yiddishize).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,721 posts, read 1,389,387 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As per you're quote:



Simply stated, the same as Ashkenazim (except they still pronounce their T's and don't Yiddishize).
That's OK, Pruzhany. I'll just wait for some one else to respond.
Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM
 
864 posts, read 734,055 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
I have a question for those who might know: How do conversions performed by a Sephardic rabbi fall into the whole Ashkenazi Orthodox/non-Orthodox paradigm?
Same as any conversion. If it's halachically valid, it's halachically valid, regardless of what cultural affiliation (for lack of better term) the Rabbis on the Bais Din belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,721 posts, read 1,389,387 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Same as any conversion. If it's halachically valid, it's halachically valid, regardless of what cultural affiliation (for lack of better term) the Rabbis on the Bais Din belongs to.
Thank you, iwish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
939 posts, read 1,262,412 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Same as any conversion. If it's halachically valid, it's halachically valid, regardless of what cultural affiliation (for lack of better term) the Rabbis on the Bais Din belong to.
While iwishiwerethin probably has a very particular ultra-Orthodox interpretation of "halachically valid" in mind when she wrote this, what she said is actually true. At least in the past, Sephardic rabbis have been more open to looking at Ashkenazi non-Orthodox conversions on a case-by-case basis. For example, the great R. Ovadiah Yosef (ztz''l) once judged a particular recent Conservative conversion as halachicly valid because the rabbis were shomer Shabbat and made sure to educate the convert very well. This almost never happens within Ashkenazi mainstream Orthodox communities anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
 
Location: US
27,991 posts, read 15,070,149 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Just that; in your (plural) experience.



That's what I had thought, and I wish it was far more prevalent in our communities. Personally, I find it to be a better system than dividing ourselves into different movements and then proceeding to bad mouth each other for belonging to one group or another.
Kinda like Christianity has done to theirselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top