U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM

21,395 posts, read 24,247,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I have heard that too, that Israel has issues with people that convert to Judaism. How come they do~? Is it the ultra Orthodox that has the issues with it~? I know someone, who recently told me she is moving to Israel. She has converted in the past years and lives like the ultra Orthodox. So, what issues will she have there when she goes~? Just curious.
If she has proof of a Orthodox conversion; None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:30 PM

939 posts, read 1,267,566 times
Assuming the rabbinate personally knows the rabbis on her beit din (religious court of law). If they are not very well-known, the rabbinate will need more information before accepting her as a Jew.

Israeli bureaucrat decides who can marry in the Jewish state | The Times of Israel

Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,065,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If she has proof of a Orthodox conversion; None.
She did get an Orthodox conversion. My next question is, why doesn't Israel accept people who get converted to Conservative or the Reform movement~?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM

21,395 posts, read 24,247,732 times
Quote:
She did get an Orthodox conversion. My next question is, why doesn't Israel accept people who get converted to Conservative or the Reform movement~?
Power!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 PM

864 posts, read 736,386 times
Quote:
For the same reason that all Jews who understand that non-halachic conversions aren't conversions don't accept them. Even secular Israelis understand can see through the hypocrisy of "Judaism-lite."

Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM

939 posts, read 1,267,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
For the same reason that all Jews who understand that non-halachic conversions aren't conversions don't accept them. Even secular Israelis understand can see through the hypocrisy of "Judaism-lite."
Actually it's more like Israelis haven't been exposed to non-Orthodox Judaism. Only Orthodox synagogues get full state funding, which is why there are no such thing as "synagogue dues" in Israel. All they ever see are Orthodox synagogues, which means that when they visit the U.S. and go into a non-Orthodox synagogue, their mind gets blown and they think it's a different religion because it looks unfamiliar. Also because they don't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay $2000+ a year to a synagogue.

The other reason that there are no Orthodox synagogues is that prior to mass Ashkenazi aliyah in the late 19th and early to mid 20th centuries, most Jews living in Eretz Yisrael were Sephardi, who didn't have the Orthodox/Conservative/Reform divide. Everybody went to the same synagogue, whether or not they ate bacon cheeseburgers on Yom Kippur. They were welcome (as long as they didn't bring the cheeseburger to shul ). In contrast, try joining TFF or iwishiwerethin's Ashkenazi American ultra-Orthodox community and get caught eating a bacon cheeseburger .

Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Power!
Explain, please~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I don't understand why they don't accept them~?

Quote:
Actually it's more like Israelis haven't been exposed to non-Orthodox Judaism. Only Orthodox synagogues get full state funding, which is why there are no such thing as "synagogue dues" in Israel. All they ever see are Orthodox synagogues, which means that when they visit the U.S. and go into a non-Orthodox synagogue, their mind gets blown and they think it's a different religion because it looks unfamiliar. Also because they don't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay $2000+ a year to a synagogue.
You mean that no one pays dues in any affiliation in Israel's congregations~?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM

388 posts, read 317,899 times
Quote:
I don't understand why they don't accept them~?
Because the non-Orthodox didn't buy their Members Only Jackets.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Because the non-Orthodox didn't buy their Members Only Jackets.

I feel we are all created equal in what we believe in and how we choose to live our life. No matter what color we are, religion or ethnic background we have, we should all get along. There is more to life than to fight like they do over there. Religion has been a huge reason wars have been fought and it never solved anything except loosing a life and medical issues from being in the war.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM

388 posts, read 317,899 times
I don't understand what the point of that comment is, especially the part that denounces religion on a religious subforum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism