U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 PM

14,883 posts, read 4,991,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This thread contains purely Chrstian ideas, being discussed almost exclusively by Chrstians. I say we rename this the babagonoush forum. This thread has exactly zero to do with Judaism.

Agreed.

But don't even think that this forum isn't the most protected forum on this sight, because it is.

I like that, I think forums should stay within limits, but if you look at the Christian forum, or the Islam forum, it looks like continual attacks, but the Judaism forum doesn't look like that at all.

I didn't come to this forum to discuss Christianity, but having said that, if somebody comes talking about Christianity and I don't agree, I would try to at least speak up and move them to another forum.

If Christians come to Judaism forums like they always wont to do, they are always attacking Jews because some Christians have a twisted idea of Torah, and I would speak up to those people to defend Jews and the Torah. Can't control people coming in to the Judaism forum with a mind to bring Christianity, I didn't bring it, but I would like to think I could speak up if somebody is presenting something I don't agree with.

See what I mean?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,112,227 times
I am new to this forum. But from what I have read it seems this is strictly an Orthodox Jewish Forum. I guess that is why it is titled Judaism. My question is are there any messianic Jews posting in this forum?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,706,656 times
This is not strictly an orthodox forum. However, messianic Jews aren't actually Jews, so if there are any I would look for them in the Christianity sub forum.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,348,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
I have done my best to answer the question raised in the OP and elsewhere. My posts have definitely not been "purely Christian". I thought that my posts were relevant to Judaism. My quotes were even from the TaNaKh. Oh ... and I am not a Christian, just knowledgeable about Christianity and its early history.

But if you feel I am intruding, I will not post here.

Suit yourself. I'm easy.
Please don't go away. You have a lot to add. I'd just like to keep this a forum about Judaism. Not about falafel and Chrstianity.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 AM

21,376 posts, read 24,142,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I am new to this forum. .... I guess that is why it is titled Judaism. My question is are there any messianic Jews posting in this forum?
There have been. But once they started proselytizing, they were shown the door. As in most levels of Judaism there are different levels of Messianic Jews. Problem is that there hasn't been one through here that follows all the tenets of Judaism except that they believe in JC. We have enough arguments about the Lubavitich who turned their leader into the Messiah and try to cover it by saying it was a only a small minority and yet go overboard with Chabad in order to divert attention away from it ever existing. Yet those of us old enough to remember it happening, it was not some small minority and that his photo are plastered in numerous locations nearly as common a Christians hang paintings of JC.

So if you are Messianic, don't bring up the NT as nearly no one has read it and don't proselytize. Past that you'll be fine as we go from liberal Reform to conservative Orthodox.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 AM

27,998 posts, read 15,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There have been. But once they started proselytizing, they were shown the door. As in most levels of Judaism there are different levels of Messianic Jews. Problem is that there hasn't been one through here that follows all the tenets of Judaism except that they believe in JC. We have enough arguments about the Lubavitich who turned their leader into the Messiah and try to cover it by saying it was a only a small minority and yet go overboard with Chabad in order to divert attention away from it ever existing. Yet those of us old enough to remember it happening, it was not some small minority and that his photo are plastered in numerous locations nearly as common a Christians hang paintings of JC.

So if you are Messianic, don't bring up the NT as nearly no one has read it and don't proselytize. Past that you'll be fine as we go from liberal Reform to conservative Orthodox.
It is ironic that the MJs reflect modern christianity more than 1st century Jewish believers...If my memory serves, the Lubavitchers were not the first ones to host a Moshiach, I can't remember the date, but Bar Kochba is said to have lead half the Jews in Israel astray claiming to be HaMoshiach and it is also said that he came the closest of them all to fulfilling the Messianic Prophecies...Both christians and MJs would have questions if they would survey all the information that is out there instead of hiding in there little boxes...It is almost cultic the way they avoid adverse information so as not to disturb their beliefs, it is almost as if they DON'T want to know the Truth of HaShem....

Old 11-26-2014, 06:05 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,348,129 times
There is nothing wrong with the Lubavich Chassidim claiming Rav Shneerson was/is moschiach. They likely were/are wrong, but its a uniquely Jewish concept to yearn for moschiach. Any Yid who does not yearn for him to finally come, those are the Yiddin who frighten me.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 AM

21,376 posts, read 24,142,259 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Lubavich Chassidim claiming Rav Shneerson was/is moschiach. They likely were/are wrong, but its a uniquely Jewish concept to yearn for moschiach. Any Yid who does not yearn for him to finally come, those are the Yiddin who frighten me.
Yearning is one thing. actually claiming one is another. They are not synonymous.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Quote:
Any Yid who does not yearn for him to finally come, those are the Yiddin who frighten me.
That is an interesting comment, Flipflop. What kind of Jew would not want a Savior to come?

I can understand how Christians are happy that their Savior has already made his presence known and they would love to see him return.

But it seems that any Jew would look forward to their Savior making an appearance, but you imply that some do not.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM

1,233 posts, read 875,435 times
Quote:
Even when Rebbe Schneerson was alive there were those who considered him to be moshiach and urged him to come out and say it, something he refused to do. I use to work with some Lubavitchers and they assured me that moshiach is still to come (just as their Mitzvah Tank says) and that only a vocal minority connect the Rebbe with moshiach.

Here is an interesting article looking back at an address, given by the Rebbe before his stroke, about wanting moshiach.

Dreams of Deliverance: To Want (Moshiach) Differently - News - Chabad Lubavitch World Headquarters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or