U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

I know the Jewish and Christian ideas of the afterlife are different. Can anyone describe to me what was being asked when Jews came to Jesus and asked him questions like, "What must I do to have eternal life?"

Are they talking about "going to heaven?"

Does 'eternal life' mean living for ever without dying? or something other/more?

Something else?

Thanks,
Sonia

Old 12-28-2013, 04:42 PM

864 posts, read 737,301 times
The NT is totally christian with not even a remote connection to Judaism. This question is therefore pointless in this forum.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The NT is totally christian with not even a remote connection to Judaism. This question is therefore pointless in this forum.
Is it a common view that the NT does not have even a remote connection to Judaism? I was not aware of that. I thought it was written by Jewish converts to Christianity.

Anyway, I'm interested in a Jewish perspective, not the Christian one, so let me phrase the question differently:

What might a Jew of about 2000 years ago have meant by the term "eternal life?" Is he referring to a afterlife? What kind of afterlife? What were the differing views at the time?

Have the Jewish ideas of "eternal life" changed since then, or do they remain largely the same?

Thank you,
Sonia

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,368,477 times
Eternal life is not now, nor ever has it been, a Jewish concept. You're asking us a question framed in Chrstian ideology. I don't think any Jews are going to be able to answer your question.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Now that's very interesting isn't it? What does it say about Christian ideology and how Christianity may have drifted from its roots? The question is asked on 2 or 3 different occasions by Jews, and at least once by "a lawyer" which the footnote says refers to "an expert in Mosaic law." So if he didn't mean "eternal life" in the sense that Christians have come to understand it, he must have meant something that fits with Jewish ideology.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, and if anyone else is able to shed some light for me, I'll be glad for it.
Sonia

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM

If the stories about Jesus in the Chrstian gospels are even directionaly true, then it paints a picture of Jesus as being a deeply troubled, misguided Jew - who in his own lifetime, caused many Jews to stray away from G-d's wishes of the Jewish people. In the context of the next 2,000, Jesus holds responsibility for millions of Jews being killed in his name, and for the total bastardization of the Torah, which the Chrstians have mistranslated to serve their own interests. if Jesus truly ever existed, from a jewish standpoint, he was a bad, bad guy.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM

12,110 posts, read 16,871,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solojoh View Post
Now that's very interesting isn't it? What does it say about Christian ideology and how Christianity may have drifted from its roots? The question is asked on 2 or 3 different occasions by Jews, and at least once by "a lawyer" which the footnote says refers to "an expert in Mosaic law." So if he didn't mean "eternal life" in the sense that Christians have come to understand it, he must have meant something that fits with Jewish ideology.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, and if anyone else is able to shed some light for me, I'll be glad for it.
Sonia

Modern day Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with its roots. Look at how an Orthodox Jew leads life versus how a fundamentalist Christian leads their life. Two totally different ways of being. In the latter, being fundamentalist does not mean that they feel any obligation to the 613 Commandments, even if Jesus himself would have (if he was a good Jew, which is debatable) encouraged his flock to follow.

At the very least, look at how Christians do not celebrate any Jewish holidays. Most Jewish holidays originated BCE, so why don't Christians observe? That alone shows what little tie there is today between Christianity and its Jewish roots. Similar is the idea of hell as being fire and brimstone - that's not a Jewish idea and therefore has no place theologically in Christianity, yet there it is!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Modern day Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with its roots. Look at how an Orthodox Jew leads life versus how a fundamentalist Christian leads their life. Two totally different ways of being. In the latter, being fundamentalist does not mean that they feel any obligation to the 613 Commandments, even if Jesus himself would have (if he was a good Jew, which is debatable) encouraged his flock to follow.

At the very least, look at how Christians do not celebrate any Jewish holidays. Most Jewish holidays originated BCE, so why don't Christians observe? That alone shows what little tie there is today between Christianity and its Jewish roots. Similar is the idea of hell as being fire and brimstone - that's not a Jewish idea and therefore has no place theologically in Christianity, yet there it is!
Great analysis, charolastra.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,135,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solojoh View Post
Sonia
Some time ago, I started a thread about the Messianic Prophecies and I recall it drifted into what the Jews think will happen on Judgement Day. You may find it interesting.

What are the Messianic Prophecies?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 AM

1,233 posts, read 880,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Eternal life is not now, nor ever has it been, a Jewish concept. You're asking us a question framed in Christian ideology. I don't think any Jews are going to be able to answer your question.
A much belated response.

The Christian concepts of a resurrection (first Jesus, later everyone) followed by a judgment and reward/punishment can be found in the TaNaKh and would definitely appear to be derived from that.

The idea of a physical resurrection appears in the vision of Yechezkel.

Quote:
Yechezkel 12

12 Therefore, prophesy and say to them, So says the Lord God: Lo! I open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves as My people, and bring you home to the land of Israel.

13 Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and lead you up out of your graves as My people.

14 And I will put My spirit into you, and you shall live, and I will set you on your land, and you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken it and have performed it," says the Lord.
The vision of Daniel refers to a universal(?) resurrection and judgment, with some getting ‘eternal life’ and others ‘eternal abhorrence’.

Quote:
Daniel 12

1 Now at that time, Michael, the great prince, who stands over the children of your people, will be silent, and it will be a time of distress that never was since a nation existed until that time, and at that time, your people will escape, everyone who is found inscribed in the book.

2 And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awaken-these for eternal life, and those for disgrace, for eternal abhorrence.

3 And the wise will shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who bring the multitudes to righteousness like the stars forever and ever.
BTW the NT Book of Revelation (aka Apocalypse) is based on Daniel, inserting the character of Jesus as Daniel’s ‘son of man’ and taking various other liberties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or